Railroad Forums 

• Smith and Son in Ledgwood

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#339088  by Scrap The U34CH

Hi,
Anyone know if Smith and
Son concrete block co in Ledgwood is still served by rail? They always seem to have a lot of block and such in stock. Google Earth shows a siding but is it ever used?

#339096  by SemperFidelis

Last time I checked, all block and brick was shipped in by truck. I could be wrong, though.

#339391  by njtransitrookie

They don't recieve nor do they ship anything. Just a side note: the track by RP Smith was the site of a RR incident in the 70's. A CNJ frieght was passing Smith with a sizable train when a couple cars derailed and were dragged across rt.10 upright with wheels ripping up crossties. Apparently the crew didn't realize what had happened.

#339598  by Angus202

If this is the company right on rt. 10 (highbridge line) then yes, they do get cars from time to time. I've seen several moves into their siding as well as cars spotted there.
-Ryan

#340624  by baretables

This is actually R.P. Smith & Son. If I recall, this switch has points facing each so the drill would be a difficult one requiring a shove across Rt 46 and Howard Blvd if they get around at Kenvil. Also, i assume this is boxcar traffic. Can anyone verify ?

#340651  by njtransitrookie

RP Smith HAS NOT gotten cars for years. Spoke to hogger from M&E and He said they have not gotten anything for at least 3 years. The siding is single track stub end.

#342616  by Angus202

It was about 3 years back, I was with the crew when they got a boxcar of bricks. Cars usually get left in kenvil, they'll runaround it after going to toys and reverse into smith. I've sen boxes there since then. Chill with the caps, this is a fun hobby.
-Ryan