Railroad Forums 

• Railroad woes reported to freeholders

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#337269  by blockline4180

ROXBURY TWP. – "Before the county freeholders renew a lease to let the
Morristown and Erie Railroad use its tracks that lie in the township,
Roxbury has a few long-standing bones to pick with the firm."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?news ... 6898&rfi=6

#337307  by kilroy

Also cited is “the transfer of highly volatile and hazardous materials including propylene oxide within the right of way in the Kenvil neighborhood.

“This transfer took place behind several businesses and within several hundred feet of a residential neighborhood,” Raths said.
Perhaps the Council will pay to relocate the right of way so it does not run through a residental neighborhood. Or maybe they would be more willing to pay the customer the additional costs of truck deliveries. I'm sure the council has no problems with haz mats on their city streets since I'm sure it happens nearly every day now.

#337309  by kilroy

Also cited is “the transfer of highly volatile and hazardous materials including propylene oxide within the right of way in the Kenvil neighborhood.

“This transfer took place behind several businesses and within several hundred feet of a residential neighborhood,” Raths said.
Perhaps the Council will pay to relocate the right of way so it does not run through a residental neighborhood. Or maybe they would be more willing to pay the customer the additional costs of truck deliveries. I'm sure the council has no problems with haz mats on their city streets since I'm sure it happens nearly every day now.

#337355  by blockline4180

kilroy wrote:

YEAH RIGHT!!!! I pretty much have a bone to pick with NIMBYS and other council members who don't use common sense... They don't think of the BIG PICTURE that this "hazardous waste" as they call it is traveling in dump trucks via the local streets and highways probably every day!!!

#337366  by Sir Ray

'bout the only real complaints that Roxbury has (IMO) are the piles of ties lining the ROW (if they are just being left to rot, with no real reason for being there - apparently M&E did remove one pile already, so that's probably the case) and if M&E did illegally fill wetlands (if township land).
The other 'complaints' - sorry kids, but that's the real world for you...

#337372  by Tri-State Tom

[i]Complaints by the township include the railroad’s attempt to construct a solid waste transfer facility at the siding along Berkshire Valley Road and another similar facility off West Dewey Avenue. Both areas are located near the border of Roxbury Township and Wharton.

The township also maintains that the rail company failed to secure a soil moving permit and therefore, conducted an unauthorized use of fill material within the borders of Roxbury Township.

The township also maintains that the company filled wetlands and wetland transition areas along the railroad’s right of way intersection with Berkshire Valley Road.

“Numerous tandem loads of roadway millings were brought on site to construct a siding of several hundred feet and numerous trees were destroyed or damaged,” it states.
[i]

There are usually two sides to every story and, as discussed previously when some of these issues arose several months ago, it's quite possible that the M&E made errors in judgement and/or violated the lease clauses.

I've no clue what the heck propylene oxide is or if it's toxic or hazrdous to my health. If it is, maybe the question is WHO the client is and where their authorized to do business vis a vis deliveries or shipments of the stuff thru the railroad. If the transfer site is/was unauthorized or required prior county approval, then maybe the M&E scrwed-up. I'd be a tad concerned too if I was a local resident, wouldn't you ?

Regardless, we as outsiders aren't privy to these matters. Let's just hope everything works out well for all.

#337375  by Tri-State Tom

Sorry bout that....this thread is acting up a bit, eh ?

#337408  by cjvrr

As has been said there are two sides to the story.

The M&E does NOT OWN the property so they have no right to fill any portion of it or construct waste transfer stations without approval from the County. The County has no obligation to agree to that use since ALL waste generated inside the County is required to go through the County's transfer stations. So the only waste that could have gone to these facilities would NOT have been generated inside the County boundries.

I am not familiar with the chemical transfer that took place, but if it was a truck pulling up on the right of way and emptying the tank car without the proper containment area or equipment readily available to capture a spill, should that not be rectified?

The County has been working to clean the right of way of old ties. I would dare say that most pre-date the County's ownership of the line(s).

I would also speculate that if the M&E were to privately buy a property adjacent to the County owned ROW and construct a spur into that site, then they would be able to do whatever they legally can do under the Federal Regulations most RR use to construct transfer facilities. But I am not a lawyer and not advocating that be done.

#337452  by blockline4180

Chris or anyone,

Do you happen to know if any other railroads are bidding on the contract for the lines that M&E currently operates for the county?? Is it possible that NYSW or perhaps NY&GL would take over operations out of Chester Junction...? Seems to me the freeholders aren't too happy with how Morristown and Erie is doing business lately and may not renew their current lease!

#337454  by D9-40CW 9899

Most likely looks like the Suzie Q's will take over the M&E's work. All there equipment has to be upgraded to cab signal operation though so that may take a while or they may lease/borrow some of NS engines if its cheaper than upgrading NYS&W's junk..

#337468  by PVRX1

But, I believe the M&E owns a bit of track at Lake Junction, so if anyone else gets the contract they would still have to pay or negotiate to use a half mile of track to conduct any business. Or find a way to build around it. At least this is what I was directly told from within, several years ago.

#337501  by Steve F45

D9-40CW 9899 wrote:Most likely looks like the Suzie Q's will take over the M&E's work. All there equipment has to be upgraded to cab signal operation though so that may take a while or they may lease/borrow some of NS engines if its cheaper than upgrading NYS&W's junk..
Is this set in stone that NYSW will operate down there? How would they get there from the little ferry offices?

#337504  by D9-40CW 9899

[/quote]Is this set in stone that NYSW will operate down there? How would they get there from the little ferry offices?

Well its not set in stone but it sure is headed that way soon. And how will they get there? Well if you mean crews I am sure they drive...lol