Railroad Forums 

• Official SIRR Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#45236  by railroadcarmover

A few months ago i rented a trackmobile to a customer in the Bayway refinery complex. The rental was for one month. While in the complex i observed the following:
- former PVRX #4264 (Mass Central colors)
and SW1500 # 20

also caboose #896 in Lackawanna colors.

please note the complex is off limits to the public. Some activity can be seen from the SIRT "main" when the units come out to switch past the gate.

#45490  by Lackawanna484

The complex is a very sensitive location. I was down there in the Fall, security was on me within two minutes of my stop. Nice people, ran my plates, copied my info.

#72848  by BigDell

I'm sure this is already known but in case anyone isn't aware of it, you can often see the M&E engine "at work" from the road that connects Rt1&9 North over to the Goethal's bridge.
As you leave Rt 1&9, you curve up and around the side of the Bayway refinery. On Saturday mornings (I've been having to drive to Staten Island these past Saturdays from Edison...) I often see the current M&E low nose Alco (whats the #? 25?) with a string of cars in VERY clear view. In fact, if its there this Saturday morning I'll pull over to the side of the road and take a quick picture...
BigDell

#73025  by eonflux

On my former job, tri-axle dump running sand, got into bayway make deliverys for the constrution company working there. Security was strict then,(before 9-11), after getting ID at the entrance, security went with me to the job site and back to the entrance. This run didn't come around to often, so I didn't get any pictures. RRC was there doing track work, M&E was switching tank cars around.

#73036  by gravelyfan

M&E 20 and DL&W Caboose 896 returned to Morristown in October.

#76270  by BigDell

So which engine is there now? Its NOT the SW. Its definitely something that looks like an Alco. Got to try and get a photo this week.
BigDell
 #261434  by northjerseybuff

What the latest on these projects..are trains running into SI now? if not when will they begin?
and are funds all dried up for the rahway valley portion?

#261455  by Sirsonic

No trains are running into Staten Island yet as the connection to the Chemical Coast is not completed yet. The project should be completed sometime, I believe, in August (I cant remember what I was told). Right now there is only Howland Hook, which Conrail will serve, and a transfer station that will generate about 5 cars a day that NS and/or CSX intend to serve directly.

The SIRY between Bayway and Cranford (the M&E portion) is not being used for anything more than long term storage of hoppers on the far end of the line in Cranford.

The RV project has run out of funds and no new funding source has been found. The few most likely sources for funds have so far declined to provide any additional funds. It may be some time before work resumes.

#261521  by The Rising

Hello all,

Just to update you all who may not know, the new connection to the Chemical Coast is now fully complete. Most of the tracks in Arlington yard are finished as well. It one wanted to, trains can today make it all the way into Arlington Yard on their own today. Only the signalling for the interlocking on the Chemical Coast needs finishing.

Well that's all for now folks,

See ya all later.....

#261587  by cjl330

In addition to the new connection to the Chemical Coast, the original track was rebuilt also. There is now a switch west of AK drawbridge. One lead goes to the new connection, which is a curved ramp that goes down to the Chem Coast. The other lead goes to the former Staten Island Railway line. Heading west on the Staten Island line (toward Linden - Roselle - Cranford) there is one obstacle, the wooden trestle. According to the last plans I had seen, it will eventually be demolished, and filled in.

#262469  by njt4172

Sirsonic wrote:No trains are running into Staten Island yet as the connection to the Chemical Coast is not completed yet. The project should be completed sometime, I believe, in August (I cant remember what I was told). Right now there is only Howland Hook, which Conrail will serve, and a transfer station that will generate about 5 cars a day that NS and/or CSX intend to serve directly.

The SIRY between Bayway and Cranford (the M&E portion) is not being used for anything more than long term storage of hoppers on the far end of the line in Cranford.

The RV project has run out of funds and no new funding source has been found. The few most likely sources for funds have so far declined to provide any additional funds. It may be some time before work resumes.

If work EVER resumes, which I highly doubt!! M&E just doesn't seem that agressive at marketing new customers... Where are the customers for the SIRT??

Steve

#263190  by CNJFAN

I have given up all hope on this RR project.
Something seems rotten about the whole thing indeed...

#263321  by ChooChooHead2

I agree. I don't even bother to look around when crossing the ROW anymore. Empty promises, lots of $$$ spent and for what? A covered hopper storage yard for Big Oil and not one so-called "customer".

Anyone remember this joyous occasion last year?:

Remember it well, because that's a scene not to be repeated anytime in our lifetime.

#263458  by Ken W2KB

xXwelderXx wrote:Actually as a former track crew worker I can say that there were quite a few buisnesses interested in rail delivery. There were also a few not interested. Effort was put forward to get customers.

I know of some of plans that were to be put forward for customers, but I do not feel it is my place to discuss them. Im sure there are some people who know of them.

That is all...take care
It may be noted that "interested" is not the same as willingness to put pen to paper with a legally binding committment. Were potential customers willing to do so, the resultant contract might even be acceptible to lenders as collateral to complete the projects.

#263474  by kilroy

Sperry Rail Services inspected the Staten Island side of the SIRR on 06/12 & 06/13. They found two defects that require repair on the line out to the sanitation department. Arlington Yard and associated trackage was OK.

Work was still being done on AK back then. I don't know if that work has been completed.

Randy