Railroad Forums 

• ex-Metro-North FL-9 2017 to SIXX

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#252763  by DutchRailnut

One FL9 #2017 at MNCR's East yard is labeled with reporting mark SIXX or 636 leasing LLC.
This is rumoured to be a M&E company anybody got inside scoop ? it would make sense to keep a FL9 for spareparts for 4 Amtraks M&E owns.

#253927  by Al Holleuffer

There a six ex-Amtrak FL9's, not four, on M&E properties. The two active units are stationed in Maine on their subsidiary Maine Eastern RR and four in storage on the old Vornado Spur in East Hanover, NJ. As far as I know, all locomotives on the M&E and its subsidiaries are actually owned by one or more leasing companies associated with the railroadand/or some of its officers.

#254299  by *istDS

That is a nice little ploy that only a privately held firm could get away with :>(

#254393  by Al Holleuffer

It's not really such a ploy and is quite common in all businesses, not just privately-held railroads. One example you probalby see and use almost daily are copying machines. Many, if not most, are not owned by the companies whose offices they sit in. From an accounting standpoint it may well be more cost effective to lease than own depending on many factors.

#263432  by DutchRailnut

the 2017 was shipped from MNCR a few days back and yesterday reported in Selkirk.
so it should arive at M&E either today or tommorrow.

#266958  by General

After dropping someone off at the airport yesterday, I passed over Oak Island on Route 1&9 and saw an F unit at the engine facility at around 2:30pm. I didn't get a good look at the unit while driving and the sun was behind the engine so I only caught a quick glimpse of it. This might be the FL9 heading to the M&E.

#268418  by Al Holleuffer

SIXX 2017 was at NJT's MMC as of yesterday spotted on one of the Loco Tracks just east of the tower. Morristown Line riders could easily see it. It's missing a body sidepanel right behind the cab on the left side. The unit is facing east.

#268693  by Al Holleuffer

SIXX 2017 was coupled to M&E office car OHIO RIVER at the MMC this morning awaiting pickup later in the day. I passed M&E 20 just east of East Dover this morning and they told me they were planning to retieve them in the afternoon time permitting.

#268752  by gravelyfan

Al Holleuffer wrote:SIXX 2017 was at NJT's MMC as of yesterday spotted on one of the Loco Tracks just east of the tower. Morristown Line riders could easily see it. It's missing a body sidepanel right behind the cab on the left side. The unit is facing east.
I heard a Conrail crew using the Center Street Branch on Wednesday with something to drop off for NJT (can't recall the job symbol, maybe JR-2?) Perhaps it was this unit?

#268932  by Tri-State Tom

M&E Alco C424 #18 just arrived @ BAKER with the MetroNorth FL9 and Louisville & Nashville private car 'Ohio River'. Now backing down on the hill to the M&E shops....

#270771  by njt4172

Stopped by the shops for lunch today... The FL-9 was tucked in the back behind the Morristown & Erie business/PV coach. M&E 18 and the Maine Eastern engine were both running!

Steve

#286402  by kpiersol

Al Holleuffer wrote:There a six ex-Amtrak FL9's, not four, on M&E properties. The two active units are stationed in Maine on their subsidiary Maine Eastern RR and four in storage on the old Vornado Spur in East Hanover, NJ.
Here are the four on the Vornado Spur as they looked on Tuesday:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=484760
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=484759
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=484758
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=484757