Railroad Forums 

• Where do the tracks go?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#239905  by Steve F45

Google Earth is amazing but its not been updated for a few years. I was following several lines including the m&e. From there shops near the morris&essex line where do they go east and how far? I was following the tracks when it seemed to abrubtly stop. I was able to kinda follow it to bloomfield ave in west caldwell. There were also several other spurs that seem to have once gone a distance but now are gone or cut short.

What kind of history does this railroad have?

#240085  by Tri-State Tom

dub -

Google is indeed useful for tracking old and existing rail beds.

Today the M&E's Whippany line ends a few hundred feet west/north of I-280. Save for a couple areas of obliteration, you can see the old ROW into Caldwell where the line met the old Erie Caldwell branch.

#240141  by Steve F45

so this union cty project that was under construction, where did they get onto those tracks?

#240567  by Steve F45

the sirr/rvrr project that had started to get done. Its on the other posts.

#240633  by myfavscr

The SIRR runs east past the Bayway Refinery(Tosco).The M&E is
contracted to switch the refinery. They access the SIRR from
Bayway.

#240634  by Tri-State Tom

Oh....you're jumping around on me a bit....not familiar with 'union city project' reference.

So you're asking where 'would' the M&E access the RVRR ? That would be in Summit on the Morristown line ( ex-Lackawanna ) via NJT....a reconnection of the RV to the old Lackawanna that was once in place.

#240653  by Steve F45

TST, yea when i wrote "union cty" i meant union county, not union city :-D my bad

#240720  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:Oh....you're jumping around on me a bit....not familiar with 'union city project' reference.

So you're asking where 'would' the M&E access the RVRR ? That would be in Summit on the Morristown line ( ex-Lackawanna ) via NJT....a reconnection of the RV to the old Lackawanna that was once in place.

That is if it is ever built!! Last I heard the remaining funds to restore this segment were not secured.....What do they need like 10 million more??

#242113  by MarkRouters

Hi 2005Vdub.

To answer your question, if your following the tracks East through West Caldwell they run alongside Bloomfield Ave for a while. It's a little hard to follow in spots because there are buildings on the old ROW. They then used to curve left and go under Bloomfield Ave right by a street called Linn Drive. They crossed a few back streets and then crossed Fairview Ave diagonally near Verona High School (near Sampson Dr.) They continued in that direction and crossed Pompton Ave (rt 23) near Grove Ave and Peckmantown Rd. The bridge is still there. They continued in that direction and ran about 1/8 of a mile West of Ridge Rd and the reservoir. They then crossed Francisco Ave neat Ethel Dr and connected to the current tracks near Rt 46 and Montclair University.

#244305  by roachcoach1186

I went through the Roseland area over the winter time, past the route 280 bridge. I actually managed to find part of the tracks that have long been covered by folliage by a public golf course. The tracks are actually on elevated soil, and the pulled out a few rails right before the small road, and then you can see where the line use to continue down.