Railroad Forums 

• ( GRAB A CAMERA!!!)

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#245007  by Steve F45

Has anyone figured out what all this ballast is beeing used for?

#245017  by gravelyfan

Tri-State Tom wrote:I missed their arrival sometime earlier today but we have what appears to be 8 to maybe 10 ( trees obscuring full view ) of the NJT hoppers sitting empty on the MU Scale track @ BAKER right now....
I counted 10 when I passed by on the train.

#245025  by roachcoach1186

From what I seen, the ballast has been added over the exsisting ballast in spots. Some of where I seen:

In Hanover Township: Right by the route 287 overpass, by the first crossing across from the Turtle and Hughs Electrical, you can see where some of it has been laid. Its been left in piles and stacked almost to the rim of the track itself.

Theres also been some next to the cross on Parsippany Road, same deal.

#245027  by Steve F45

all on m&e track?

#355689  by Tri-State Tom

One of those moments yesterday morning around 8:20a.m.....

C424 #18 came out @BAKER and headed west with 3 of those odd looking mini hoppers/ore jennies/ballast cars(?). They appeared to be empties.

Anyone with info ?

#355744  by RS115

Most likely taking them up to Kenvil to be loaded at County Concrete though I'd hate to be trying to spread and tamp ballast given the current temperature.

#370738  by Tri-State Tom

NS #3010 ( GP40-2 ? ) traveling light @ BAKER awaiting signal to leave Morristown & Erie and head West....

I'm guessing this is an ex-Conrail unit since it appears to be lacking the cab rooftop a/c unit.

#370760  by blockline4180

Tri-State Tom wrote:NS #3010 ( GP40-2 ? ) traveling light @ BAKER awaiting signal to leave Morristown & Erie and head West....

I'm guessing this is an ex-Conrail unit since it appears to be lacking the cab rooftop a/c unit.
Tom,

Did he have any cars with him? Probably just refueling at the Morristown shops! Yes, it is an Ex-Conrail unit. I believe it was used to serve Reheis Chemical last week! An engine that fits trhough Summit!!@ :P

#370789  by Tri-State Tom

4180 -
Did he have any cars with him?
NS #3010 ( GP40-2 ? ) traveling light @ BAKER
light ='s running by it's lonesome....

#397013  by Tri-State Tom

#18 just went West @ BAKER pulling a single tank AND wany looked like a 40' boxcar that had UGLY painted in huge letters on it's side by some amateur artists. Otherwise the box looked in excellent condition....and a rare sight off the Whippany branch.

#397378  by bystander

whippany branch? when I was yuonger that was the MnE what happened?

#397486  by Tri-State Tom

by -
whippany branch? when I was yuonger that was the MnE what happened?
Nothing....still is.

I wasn't clear.

#18 came out onto the Morristown line @BAKER hauling the tank and box....and proceeded Westbound.

#397519  by blockline4180

#18 came out onto the Morristown line @BAKER hauling the tank and box....and proceeded Westbound.

If that was the case then it safe to say M&E is still interchanging with NS at Lake Junction... I'm assuming that is still their PRIMARY interchange customer and NOT CSX/CR in Kearny??

#397760  by General

Went to morristown this am to catch the dj02 and watched two m&e alcos leave westward around 9am. the 02 went east at 9:11 with a gp box tank box caboose