Railroad Forums 

• Bridge widening on 280

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#230742  by denvillerailfan

While cleaning up some emails at work... I cam across this...
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJ DOT) has a construction project to replace the
bridge deck on I-280 East over Morristown Erie Railroad which is just east of Exit 4 (Eisenhower
Parkway). The project requires the two Eastbound lanes of traffic to be switched over into the
Westbound lanes where two lanes Eastbound and two lanes Westbound will be maintained.
In preparation for switching traffic the contractor has to close the left lane of I-280 West beginning
at Exit 5 and to just west of Exit 4 (two lanes will be maintained Westbound) at the same time
shifting traffic towards the right shoulder. Once the left lane is closed there is 7500 feet of barrier
curb to be placed and pinned as well roadway work to be done prior to switching traffic. The
contractor has scheduled to close the left lane starting this Friday night (March 31). The left lane
will be closed for approximately 2 months.
At this time it is anticipated that Eastbound traffic will be switched over to the Westbound lanes
tentatively on Friday, April 21. The same night Eastbound traffic is switched over the on ramps to
I-280 East from Eisenhower Parkway North & South will be closed with traffic detoured to Exit 1.
Eastbound traffic will not be able to gain access Exit 4A or B and will be detoured to u-turn at Exit
5 to use I-280 West Exit 4A or B.
NJ DOT will keep everyone posted as to the schedule of events. The contractor has placed one
portable VMS on I-280 West near Exit 6 last week. He will place three additional VMS (one on I-
280 East prior to Exit 1, one in each direction of Eisenhower Parkway prior to I-280) at least 1 to 2
weeks prior to the Eastbound traffic switch.
I suppose they are widening the stretch to allow for that bypass 2nd track?
Just a guess...

Also saw some guys with chainsaws by the Eagle Rock Bridge clearing brush and more.

#231082  by Sirsonic

The overpass is being replaced due to a serious defect that has resulted in the bridge being condemned. Temporary shoring was installed last year to support the road deck, and make the bridge safe for vehicle traffic until permanent repairs could be made. The bridge over Eagle Rock Rd also needs to be replaced. The M&E is actually making some money on this project, as the contractor must pay for a RR flagman to protect the jobsite while they are working.

#231090  by njt4172

Sirsonic wrote:The overpass is being replaced due to a serious defect that has resulted in the bridge being condemned. Temporary shoring was installed last year to support the road deck, and make the bridge safe for vehicle traffic until permanent repairs could be made. The bridge over Eagle Rock Rd also needs to be replaced. The M&E is actually making some money on this project, as the contractor must pay for a RR flagman to protect the jobsite while they are working.

Well atleast is being replaced and not abandonded!

#231102  by Ken S.

njt4172 wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:The overpass is being replaced due to a serious defect that has resulted in the bridge being condemned. Temporary shoring was installed last year to support the road deck, and make the bridge safe for vehicle traffic until permanent repairs could be made. The bridge over Eagle Rock Rd also needs to be replaced. The M&E is actually making some money on this project, as the contractor must pay for a RR flagman to protect the jobsite while they are working.

Well atleast is being replaced and not abandonded!
Of course, the state needs to build the extra 6 lanes on 280 and 80, yet do 20 more surveys on the cutoff. :-D

#231548  by Al Holleuffer

The current structure was built to allow double track at the time I-280 was constucted. I believe that is/was a federal standard for Interstates over any single track railroad.

I owner if the operation of trains over the road bridge when S. J. Groves, Inc., used a railroad to haul the rock from West Orange to Pine Brook had a longterm effect which lead to this problem? I recal that several other bridges on the route were reinforced with 12X12 inch timbers for the operation of the trains.
 #232044  by maddog5150

denvillerailfan wrote:While cleaning up some emails at work... I cam across this...
The New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJ DOT) has a construction project to replace the
bridge deck on I-280 East over Morristown Erie Railroad which is just east of Exit 4 (Eisenhower
Parkway). The project requires the two Eastbound lanes of traffic to be switched over into the
Westbound lanes where two lanes Eastbound and two lanes Westbound will be maintained.
In preparation for switching traffic the contractor has to close the left lane of I-280 West beginning
at Exit 5 and to just west of Exit 4 (two lanes will be maintained Westbound) at the same time
shifting traffic towards the right shoulder. Once the left lane is closed there is 7500 feet of barrier
curb to be placed and pinned as well roadway work to be done prior to switching traffic. The
contractor has scheduled to close the left lane starting this Friday night (March 31). The left lane
will be closed for approximately 2 months.
At this time it is anticipated that Eastbound traffic will be switched over to the Westbound lanes
tentatively on Friday, April 21. The same night Eastbound traffic is switched over the on ramps to
I-280 East from Eisenhower Parkway North & South will be closed with traffic detoured to Exit 1.
Eastbound traffic will not be able to gain access Exit 4A or B and will be detoured to u-turn at Exit
5 to use I-280 West Exit 4A or B.
NJ DOT will keep everyone posted as to the schedule of events. The contractor has placed one
portable VMS on I-280 West near Exit 6 last week. He will place three additional VMS (one on I-
280 East prior to Exit 1, one in each direction of Eisenhower Parkway prior to I-280) at least 1 to 2
weeks prior to the Eastbound traffic switch.
I tried doing a seach for the construction project on I-280 but couldn't find any good sites that show how the job is planned to be progressing or even someplace to get updates. Can you forward the web address from the e-mail you uncovered?

Thanks!

#232045  by denvillerailfan

maddog...
Sorry, this was the email (actually, it was an attached PDF)... no link available. I do not know the original source.

Thanks for the updates all...

#239827  by 7 Train

The date on the current Interstate 280 bridge reads 1968. There are three sets of twin bridges along the stretch, one over Passaic Av, another over the M&E main line and Eagle Rock Av.