Railroad Forums 

• Does Any one kn.......

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#220399  by bnsf lover

I was wondering why the m&e are buying alot of engines and equitment from erie mining. Where was erie mining. Did they shut down. Are there engines good. And why do they have 4 or 5 of them at the yard in wharton. And why they have that cn engine and the other alco siting in front of the cn.

#220405  by RS115

The Erie Mining equipment was purchased several years ago after that operation had shut down (it returned to operation briefly later but has, I think, shut down completely again and for good). The RS-11's, jordan spreader, a crane and maybe something else came to the M&E and have been kept stored in the yard at Lake Junction except when management decides to have something worked on. RS-11 7215 has been restored to service in a unique M&E paint scheme. 7216 has been largely scrapped (see Morristown Diesel Doings thread for some more info). Another 7206? has been on the run-around at Morristown for a few months now - I assume waiting it's turn in the shop after more high-priority projects.

Why did they buy it all - it was there, in varying states of repair (surely some are never intended to run again but to be parts sources for the others) and presumably the price was right. Any answer beyond that would have to come from the M&E and they don't seem inclined to say much.

Ditto the CN Alco (which spent some time on subsidiary Maine Eastern with another of its kind before coming south). It has sat where it is since arrival - it's missing a traction motor - don't know what other mechanical work is required. The other Canadian ALCO is a recent arrival. I'd speculate it's a parts source and then a candidate for razor blades.

Hope that helps a bit.

#220589  by bnsf lover

thanks for the info.