Railroad Forums 

• Ex-Erie-Lackawanna Hoppers

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#220315  by mountie17

They used to be parked on the Vornado spur with a whole bunch of other M-O-W cars, but they have since vanished.

#220401  by RS115

They're still around though I'm not sure precisely where at the moment. When I rode one of the Santa Specials they (as said above - with some other MOW stuff) were sitting out on one of the sidings in the Hanover area. Location was such that they'd not be visible from any road without a good hike.

Spring may bring the need for some ballasting and their reappearance at more easily reached locations.
A

#224834  by denvillerailfan

Roseland... North of 280... I'll see if I can get some pics.

They moved when the NJT cars went to the spur.

#227333  by Tri-State Tom

Jeff -

We're looking down on the ROW from I-280 looking north, correct ?

About how far north does rail exist ?

Is there still a runaround track out there ?

Just as an aside, the pic shows how quickly mother nature can reclaim her turf. AIR back when 280 was being built, a rail ramp was constructed from the M&E at this location up to the fill of the highway where it met the temporary railway used in 280's construction. The earthen ramp was in the left side of your pic....i.e., the west side of the ROW. Hard to tell if any visible evidence remains of this ramp nowadays.

#227419  by njt4172

Caught M&E 20 heading west with 2 ballast hoppers this morning. One of them was the Erie Lackawanna hopper car!!

#227923  by norbkowa

I was working with those two cars with stone yesterday. We were dumping stone by rd 46 by old scale, that part will be tamped and regulated thats what the stone was for.

#233132  by denvillerailfan

Just caught 18, the 3 ore cars, and the two hoppers eastbound through Denville @ 5:11pm.

couldn't catch up for any pics...

Tom-
...Yes this is from 280
...Not sure but it stops before it gets to Harrison ave.
...No runnaround yet, just one track from what I can tell. It has been mentioned in other posts that there is rail there (off to the side) for a runnaround.
...is there any information around about how that was setup? Another post states the bridge was reinforced with wood to support the train when removing the material from the big hill... I'd like to see more on that if it's around.

thanks,
Jeff

#233516  by denvillerailfan

Ballast was dropped under 280 (and it wasn't there yesterday....) The cars left on the end of the line (gondola's and something else) were pushed way back. Although I could still see them from 280 overpass.
Won't be stopping for any pics there, they moved the lanes over to allow for the bridge work.

Jeff

#233655  by RS115

It appears they're undertaking a fairly comprehensive ballast project on the Whippany line. Notice ballast dropped down Morristown grade and continuing east. Have seen tampers and other track equipment moving around near S. Jefferson Road as well.
18 went east with several hoppers of stone yesterday - now I know where they went!
A

#234478  by BlockLine_4111

Some of the track AIR goes past a golf course which may be before Harrison Ave. Weedy overgrown when me and NJT4172 checked it out about 5 yrs. ago.

#234495  by njt4172

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Some of the track AIR goes past a golf course which may be before Harrison Ave. Weedy overgrown when me and NJT4172 checked it out about 5 yrs. ago.
Yup, the tracks and rotted ties are still in place right up to Harrison Ave. There have to be some pretty tall saplings growing through there by now!

It was very sad for me to see this stretch of track in that condition since I rode the Roseland Centennial train back 1983 with the old DL&W Mu's.. They terminated just east of Harrison Ave....Impossible to do now!! :(

Steve

#234835  by RS115

To the original topic - both of the ex-DL&W hoppers were on the Ridgedale Ave run-around today. The Maine Eastern geep was idling outside the shop at lunch time and later went east with the Morris County and I think it was the Alexander Hamilton in tow. They returned west with something which slips my mind and M&E 22 so perhaps the rumored re-engining and return to usability of the 'hangar queen' is afoot.

Both F-40's are alongside the shop and haven't moved at all of late. If they're going to MN there doesn't seem to be any hurry about it. Both the EMD switchers have disappeared - presumably into the shop building. 19 was in the shop today as well.