Railroad Forums 

• M&E Bridge over the Passaic River - needs more work!

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#215520  by CGRLCDR

The weather was so great today that my buddies and I decided to go canoeing on the Passaic River - we launched near the bridge at the intersections of River and Eagle Rock Road in Livingston.

Initially we paddled up stream and went under the M&Es new bridge, which is a vast improvement over the old bridge. They've removed the old wooden post and beam bridge that used to clog up the river every spring from catching debis and replaced it with a couple of new heavy duty footings and an I-beam bridge.

Here's the BIG problem. They cut off the old posts right at the water line and left them there, along with debris from the old structure that was removed. It looks like they might have left everything just where it dropped in the water. Not only is this a hazzard to navigation, but the remains of the old bridge will still snag debris and cause flooding and a general mess.

Does anyone know if the M&E plans to clean this up? They did place a couple of buoys in the river making the hazzard, but that is not nearly enough. They need to get some heavy equipment in there and pull all of the old bridge out - it probably should have been done when they installed the new bridge.

#216489  by GOLDEN-ARM

If that stretch of water, is considered a "navigable body of water", a call to the USCG, with all pertinant details, will bring about a solution. If it's not, then what you have is the M&E merely being "bad neighbors", and there is not much resolution for you, unless those are creosote coated pilings, that were dumped into the river, then you would contact the USDEP, and report a violation by dumping, into a waterbody. Regards :(

#216813  by Ken W2KB

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:If that stretch of water, is considered a "navigable body of water", a call to the USCG, with all pertinant details, will bring about a solution.
I think that someone with a screen name of "CGRLCDR" is familiar with the jurisdiction of this particular Federal agency. :wink:

That said, federal jurisdiction over waterways extends to waterways both presently and potentially navigable. Canoeable streams are included. Goes back to Colonial times when canoes and streams were the interstate highways of the day. Of course, the feds can choose when to assert the jurisdiction.

#216841  by CGRLCDR

I'm not trying to make a federal case out this. At this point I am just a railfan, concerned kayaker/canoer and friend of the Passaic River.

I spoke with the M&E project manager on the line rehab the day after I posted here and he agreed that it was their responsibility to clean up under the bridge in question. He said that he will take it up with the contractor and if they won't do it, the M&E has underwater saws that can handle the job.

I'll check back with him in a couple of weeks and probably go out on the river again in the near future, weather permitting, to check on progress.

#216884  by Tri-State Tom

Couple weeks ?

Considering the time of year, I'd give them a little more time, don't ya think ?

Howz about June 1st ?

#216921  by CGRLCDR

Tir-State Tom, When would be the best time to clear out the old bridge timbers prior to spring flooding?

#216961  by Tri-State Tom

CG -

Given the overall lack of snow, and assuming we don't get hit again with a quick whopper, are we apt to get much spring flooding this year ?

I've no idea what kinda job this is or the equipment/manpower needed....all I'm guessin' is it's cold and the water likely colder.

Give the company a little more slack is all.