Railroad Forums 

• D&R traffic down???

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#197429  by njt4172

I have noticed as of Monday that the D&R branch has not seen a train in over a week... Anyone know why traffic has been down on the line??? I wonder if customers have been complaining....

Thanks,
Steve

#197548  by Jihn z

Although I can't give a reason, I will second Steve's statement. It's plain slow. I realize that this line is served on a "as needed" basis, but I think i've herd maybe 1 or 2 trains in the past month! I remember in the not so distant past having 2 trains in a week!

#197626  by Lackawanna484

Who are the current shippers on the D&R and what do they get / send?

#197639  by Scrap The U34CH

I know Endot is going on winter shutdown this week so they won't be getting anything for a few weeks.

#197645  by njt4172

Lackawanna484 wrote:Who are the current shippers on the D&R and what do they get / send?

I think there are about 3 active plastics companies and one lumber company....

Polyfil
Endot (supposed to be largest customer)
Nexpack
Action (I think they went belly up?)
84 Lumber (very sporadic)

Also the team track in Rockaway gets covered hoppers for transflo...

Hope this helps!
Steve

#198097  by 7 Train

An Itailan food company is now at the Action site.

#199200  by njt4172

Any updates on this???????????

#199499  by NYSW13000

Just caught a train on the D&R branch yesterday, consisted of two boxcars and one covered hopper.

#199527  by njt4172

NYSW13000 wrote:Just caught a train on the D&R branch yesterday, consisted of two boxcars and one covered hopper.
Mike,

Thanks for the heads up! Where did you happen to catch him??

#199538  by washingtonsecondary

On the D&R, you'd know this if you could read.

#199636  by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:On the D&R, you'd know this if you could read.

Eat Me!

#216639  by NJTRailfan

Hard to believe that back in 2000 or 2001 I once saw an M&E Alco pull 12 covered Hopper Cars on the D&R Line. WOW was that a site. Now I'll be lucky if I see service once or twice a weel with a handful of cars pulled by one Alco. What was the longest train on the D&R? someoen told me a 12 cr freight was the longest they saw.

#234839  by Jihn z

18 made a late trip tonight, somewhere around 4:30. I'm not sure what they delivered, but they tied down for the night next to Mill Lane Tavern with two covered hoppers, and 18's rear facing Main Street. Herd on the scanner that they were gonna return first thing tomorrow to get it.

#235007  by njt4172

Jihn z wrote:18 made a late trip tonight, somewhere around 4:30. I'm not sure what they delivered, but they tied down for the night next to Mill Lane Tavern with two covered hoppers, and 18's rear facing Main Street. Herd on the scanner that they were gonna return first thing tomorrow to get it.

Saw this consist last night i nthe darkness... Had the M&E 20 behind him plus atleast 2 covered hopper cars. I just drove by Denville today and there were 2 hobber cars plus a green box car sitting on the Boonton line wye stub track.... Any idea if this is the same stuff??

Thanks,
Steve

#235533  by Al Holleuffer

The reason traffic is way down on the D&R Branch is that several of the customers who were located on the line when the Morristown & Erie took over operation have moved and/or gone out of business including Ivex Plastics and Joyce Mouldings, Inc., which accounted for more than 80% of the carloads. Trips now average less than once each week and most times the train consists of only one or two cars.

The longest train ever run by the M&E was 13 cars which is the maximum number which wil clear Ford Road for the drop at 84 Lumber's switch. I was the Conductor on that run. At the height of activity trains averaged six cars and service was normally three times per week and often four.