Railroad Forums 

• Best places to (legally) railfan the M&E

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1405263  by Snowmojoe

I've recently switched jobs and as such it looks like my only real chance to do a little shooting/railfanning is going to be the M&E, likely on my way home from work. I used to do most of my shooting along CSX and the NYS&W on the way home from Weehawken and Jersey City home to Wyckoff.

I've got basically zero knowledge of the M&E. Where are the best places to catch them in action without getting in trouble? I'll be traveling up and down the 287 corridor through the Morristown area, but depending on how much time I have, I'll venture out somewhere if the potential is there. I happened to be driving home the other day and miraculously caught a glimpse of the Maine Eastern FL-9s off the side of 287, by Eden Rd., and managed to track them down and get a dreadful photo of them, but I don't know really anything about where to get good shots.

Thanks very much for the advice.
 #1405281  by mandealco

Hi
One of the best viewing spots is the Staples parking lot which overlooks the M&E shops off Abbett Ave. There are also good locations in Wharton, West Dewey Ave near Lake Jct, and also through Dover and Rockaway. The trick is knowing when the M&E is running.
Cheers
Steve
NZ