Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2016

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1376348  by BigDell

Went to the Red Bulls game Saturday night. The cars were there. First time I really stopped to "check out the area". Had no idea there was so much in Harrison itself, including active crossings. From the stadium I saw the trackage around what I think is the PSE&G plant(??) back behind Cape May St along the river. I could see a small plant switcher (looked like a glorified golf cart on rails) parked out near the Y. I'm a Red Bulls season ticket holder, might get there earlier next time and take some better photos. What a rush - mixing my two passions on one afternoon....

BTW - Harrison has REALLY improved since the old days when it was no-man's land around that PATH station...
 #1376394  by ccutler

BigDell, sad to say, I think those tracks behind Cape May St have been disconnected from national freight rail network by PATH. Those tracks [for other readers, I'm sure you know] aren't part of the M&E operation.
 #1376540  by Ken W2KB

That remnant of the Harrison Gas Plant is a peak shaving facility that utilizes liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) that is mixed with air (to form LPA) to supplement the natural gas supply during very rare extremely cold hours when gas sendout to meet demand is extraordinarily high. The mix with air is done to bring the approximately 2,000 BTU per cubic foot level of LPG close to that of the 1,020 BTUs of natural gas so it burns properly in customer facilities. It is not unusual for the plant to not be used at all during a typical winter. I believe that PSEG Power, LLC, the fuel provision affiliate (PSE&G for years has been a delivery company only) determined that it was less costly to truck LPG than to maintain the track and utilize rail transportation given the limited need for deliveries.
 #1399192  by HBTM M-39

Can anyone provide an operating schedule for the various segments of the M&E?

I'll be in the Morristown and Rockaway areas on Friday and would like to do a little photography. Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith