Railroad Forums 

• M&E Acquires Additional Locomotives

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1296195  by mainetrain

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ns3010 wrote:21, 23, and 79 are in Portland, ME. (Photo is from 9/29, but all three are still there AFAIK)

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... age=4&key=
Mmmm.. I like the 79!
Not the 79 but one of my first 35mm pics in the '70's on the Riverline. Haworth, NJ Southbound Conrail freight. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2394728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1297527  by thebigham

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=219559" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foreign Power On The B&A

A trio of of old-time (former) BAR 4-axle EMDs rumble through Pittsfield, Mass. in the consist of CSX train Q423. They are the ME 23, ME 79, and ME 21. They came down from Maine on PAR/CSX train POSE the other day. At first glance you would almost think the three vintage geeps are leading a train through Pittsfield. Note: I heard the dispatcher calling this train Q423. However I think it started off earlier as Q427.

Photographed by John Bazan, October 11, 2014.
 #1300521  by gregorygrice

photorailfan wrote:I passed by the M&E yard in Morristown and didn't see any of the locos that there buying. When will they be ariving?
One of the locos (GP9) arrived at Kearny Yad this morning. M&E may pick it up tomorrow.
 #1300889  by bk77

gregorygrice wrote:
photorailfan wrote:I passed by the M&E yard in Morristown and didn't see any of the locos that there buying. When will they be ariving?
One of the locos (GP9) arrived at Kearny Yad this morning. M&E may pick it up tomorrow.
The 23 made it to Kearny, 21 and 79 are still up in Selkirk. Considering their rough looks and the fact that they're coming from the MMA is perhaps causing CSX concern they will fall apart en route, LOL.
 #1300894  by MEC407

Selkirk has always been a black hole when it comes to other railroads' locomotives!
 #1300946  by ACeInTheHole

bk77 wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
The 23 made it to Kearny, 21 and 79 are still up in Selkirk. Considering their rough looks and the fact that they're coming from the MMA is perhaps causing CSX concern they will fall apart en route, LOL.
You have them backwards bk, 21 is the one that made it down here, not 23.
 #1301101  by bk77

ACeInTheHole wrote:
bk77 wrote:
gregorygrice wrote:
You have them backwards bk, 21 is the one that made it down here, not 23.
Ah... my friend who works for CSX told me it was the 23 that came down but must've got the numbers mixed up. Correction noted.
 #1304155  by kilroy

I saw a pair of locomotives sitting along the M&E in Harrison the past couple of days but they were a little too far away to really tell if that was them.
 #1304276  by therudycometh

kilroy wrote:I saw a pair of locomotives sitting along the M&E in Harrison the past couple of days but they were a little too far away to really tell if that was them.
Yeah, that was them. #23 even acquired a new paint job from the locals in Harrison..... We picked them up on Wednesday.
 #1305150  by therudycometh

ccutler wrote:Rudy, would love to see photos of the "new paint job by locals"

I usually hate graffiti but some of the graffiti artists have become quite good
As a company representative, I will have to respectfully refrain from posting photos of our engines looking like garbage..... however, there are photos online by other photographers if you look around enough.
 #1305328  by Watchman318

ccutler wrote:I usually hate graffiti but some of the graffiti artists have become quite good
"The difference between 'art' and 'vandalism' is permission." I can't imagine how they'd have done it without trespassing on RR property, so that's not good, either.

Not many years ago, M&E sent a new dining car up to Maine, and between the time Pan Am delivered it and Maine Eastern picked it up (maybe 24 hours), it was "tagged." That required dry ice blasting to get the graffiti off without damaging anything underneath. I don't know what it cost to have the "art" removed but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a comma in the price. :(