Railroad Forums 

• M&E Acquires Additional Locomotives

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1290041  by oibu

Am I the only one wondering what in the world they'll use these for with all the other piles of power they've already got sitting around, considering they only need a couple (at least on the NJ lines) at any given time?
 #1290090  by JPG76

therudycometh wrote:
JPG76 wrote:Hmm, the M&E is expanding it's locomotive fleet and adding cab signal equipment to them. I'm kind of thinking other rumors I've heard might actually be true and may materialize in the not too distant future.
What other rumors would those be?
NS leasing out the Washington secondary and putting thier Boonton line buiseness up for bid when the BASF plant in Washington closes.
 #1290203  by therudycometh

oibu wrote:Am I the only one wondering what in the world they'll use these for with all the other piles of power they've already got sitting around, considering they only need a couple (at least on the NJ lines) at any given time?
What piles of power do we have sitting around? The M&E only owns five other locomotives - 18, 19, 20, 22, and the 3573 in Maine. Of those five, 22 doesn't run, and the other four are all in need of long-overdue major overhauls. These four Geeps will be a very welcome addition and will give us the opportunity to perform some major servicing on our current motive power.
JPG76 wrote:NS leasing out the Washington secondary and putting their Boonton line business up for bid when the BASF plant in Washington closes.
If I hear anything to that effect on the M&E end, I'll let you know.
 #1290240  by DogBert

therudycometh wrote:
oibu wrote:Am I the only one wondering what in the world they'll use these for with all the other piles of power they've already got sitting around, considering they only need a couple (at least on the NJ lines) at any given time?
What piles of power do we have sitting around? The M&E only owns five other locomotives - 18, 19, 20, 22, and the 3573 in Maine. Of those five, 22 doesn't run, and the other four are all in need of long-overdue major overhauls. These four Geeps will be a very welcome addition and will give us the opportunity to perform some major servicing on our current motive power.
My guess would be he's talking about all the rppx(?) power that is/was stored on the property... quite a bit of which has been scrapped over the years.
 #1290246  by oibu

Not sure of the status of the ex CP C424, but at least as of last year they were still around. And as far as I know the RS11 still exists. So that's 2-3 others on the property. Not sure if the railroad itself or others own the NBEC C424s, but as far as I know it's around too. Either way, most shortlines that usually only use 1 or 2 units at a time would be unlikely to own 4-5 or more serviceable locos (nevermind as many more on the property o/s). Now there will be (even if we assume only 2 Geeps ever run, and the RS11 and C424s are toast) around 6-7 more or less in service, and that many more around o/s. Pretty heavy for a 1-2 unit shortline is all I'm saying, no criticism intended and I sure they have their reasons, but most shrtlines with that kind of padding on the power front as-is wouldn't buy additional power other than as replacements.

Maybe the Washington secondary is part of it, but those rumors have been flying since 1999 or before FWIW. That said, M&E HAS legititmately had interest, I even remember talking to Ben sometime in the early-mid 90s and he was already talking about that goal back then.
 #1290337  by therudycometh

oibu wrote:Not sure of the status of the ex CP C424, but at least as of last year they were still around. And as far as I know the RS11 still exists. So that's 2-3 others on the property. Not sure if the railroad itself or others own the NBEC C424s, but as far as I know it's around too.
All scrapped. There is one CP C424 left on the property, #4204, which is not owned by the railroad.
 #1293528  by ns3010

The new stuff is on the way. All four units were handed off to Pan Am on 9/12. 21, 23, and 79 are destined for Morristown, while the 100 will go straight to the Maine Eastern.
 #1295484  by MEC407

Actually the photo is from 9/23, but yes, they're still there as of today.
 #1295680  by DogBert

ACeInTheHole wrote:
ns3010 wrote:21, 23, and 79 are in Portland, ME. (Photo is from 9/29, but all three are still there AFAIK)

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... age=4&key=
Mmmm.. I like the 79!
Out of the lot, I hope 79 runs again. It's an original BAR loco, no? The other two were rebuilt by atsf, & bought by BAR in the early 90s if I recall right.
 #1295691  by MEC407

DogBert wrote:It's an original BAR loco, no?
Yes.