Railroad Forums 

• Caboose Run Main Line

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#145608  by engineerpete

Here are some photos of the 2PM run. They used an RS-1 and 5 cabooses to travel the main line from the Whippanny Musem down to the border of Morris county (Eisenhower Pky) and back. I think this run is more intresting than a standard bunny or Santa run using the NJT coaches. First, because of the equipment and second, you can stand at the doorways or open windows to take clear snap shots instead of through glass. Lastly the experience is enhanced with the sounds and smell due to the open cars. Kids also love sitting up top for the view. Just watchout for the tree branches. Keep their hands and heads inside *L. Enjoy.

http://public.fotki.com/engineerpete/me_caboose_run/

#146202  by mikec

Nice Pictures Epete. I was up at the Whippany a few weeks ago myself.

#154261  by james1787

Wow, a couple of those shots I recognize from the movie "The Station Agent"... The Tavern and the Rockaway Bridge, nice shots!!

#158230  by james1787

My wife, Me, my sister and her kids took the Caboose ride this past Sunday.. that was alot of fun! Much much better than the easter bunny/santa/etc rides due to the equipment and the experience. We rode in the Delaware and Western wooden caboose. It was a little warm that day but we came well stocked with water. One of the older workers there was telling me about the newly rebuilt passaic river bridge and pointed it out as we rolled over it. There was also another brand new steel bridge put in place. The line looked really good. They ran out to Roseland and back - total trip was 45-50 mins.

We also talked a little about the RVRR. He spoke a little of plans down the road to run a 'special excursion' down the line sometime - wow, price would be no object to get me on that train!! There was alot of general excitement about the RVRR.

Despite the hot weather they had a good turnout and it was a fun and unique ride. I didn't realize there were alot of little 'spurs' and sidings that ran off this line..

#158266  by njt4172

James,

I rode the 2pm trip on Sunday with my friend.... What trip were you on?? We probably missed each other...

Steve

#158419  by james1787

Steve,
We were all on the 3pm train. We got there just after the 2pm left. We probably passed eachother without even knowing it! We got on the red 1913 wooden Deleware and Hudson caboose (it was a bit of a production but we made it). It was alot of fun! Which caboose did you ride on?

#158509  by njt4172

james1787 wrote:Steve,
We were all on the 3pm train. We got there just after the 2pm left. We probably passed eachother without even knowing it! We got on the red 1913 wooden Deleware and Hudson caboose (it was a bit of a production but we made it). It was alot of fun! Which caboose did you ride on?
My baby! The DL&W 896.....I think the dedicated Tri-State guys did a wonderful job restoring it to its original appearance!....They recently put an old wood burning stove back in it!!!
But yeah, the D&H hack is a very rare 1913 wooden caboose....

Steve