Railroad Forums 

• M&E Rehabbing Vornado Spur?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#19673  by Angus202

Rehab of this spur seems to be progressing nicely, wont be long before we see some alcos crossing ridgedale ave here again. Snapped some pics of the work, first one looks like 12 inches to 1 foot scale garden railroading. I'm not sure the Vornado properties Co. nor the town of hanover will be pleased with the M&E storing equipment here, but the markers to replace ties east of the crossing I'd say is an indication they're planning on it. Second shot is of the trackwork on the bridge, about 1 in 3 ties crossing the creek is so rotted, the weight of a tie plate has crushed it, that'll need some tlc as the rest of this branch has almost everyother if not every tie replaced.
http://www.northshorerecording.com/rail ... rnado1.jpg

-Ryan

#19675  by james1787

Does anyone have a map of the Vornado Spur?

#19694  by Greg

Does anyone know for a fact that the M&E will be storing equipment on the east side of the crossing? AFAIK the trackage on Murray Rd is owned by Vornado, I find it surprising that they would allow equipment to be stored there.

#19696  by njt4172

Greg,

Well then maybe one of the customers out of the possible 8 are going to receive rail service! I won't believe it until I see it, but if M&E doesn't own those tracks outright then you have a case for service!

Steve

#19846  by njtransitrookie

I was in that direction today and saw RR construction working on the M&E
main near Vornado. 4 Hirail trucks and a large amount of bodies. With all this going on you would think something has to give. Or, this has something to do with the new 286,000 lbs. wt. standard of newer cars. Anyway, a little ballast and you have a nice main line with 35 mph speeds.

#20263  by Greg

Steve,

Although I would like to see service restored to the spur I find it unlikely that anyone on Murray Rd will shortly be receiving rail service. Being that I use Murray Rd to get to work everyday I have been able to monitor progress on the M&E rehab in the area, in this regard I have not see any work on the Vornado spur East of Ridgedale Ave. Perhaps a phone call to the M&E might help illuminate what their intentions are for the spur on both sides of the crossing.

#20321  by njt4172

Greg,

It seems like most of the ties on the trackage east of Ridgedale Ave. are imbedded in the grass..I guess that would make it very hard to replace ties, etc?....But, aren't there several thousands of feet of track that are over blacktop which are adjacent to the warehouses??

#20361  by njtransitrookie

Home Depot or Target do not receive rail at indivdual stores as they both get rail shipments at their respective distribution centers. This is confined to lumber at HD. HD has a very large lumber DC in Sweedsboro NJ.

#20534  by 7 Train

84 does recieve shipments to its Rockaway site, however.

#20540  by njtransitrookie

Most 84's near rail do receive shipments. That is part of their business model. Home Depot works thru DC's as that works best. The average HD does 55 million a year with only a portion going to lumber. 84 is 5/8 lumber. At one time there was talk od HD putting a DC in the Boonton area.

#20609  by Greg

Steve,

The trackage adjacent to the buildings on Murray Rd is not on any type of pavement but is actually in rather good shape. There are only a few areas that would need work but as I said earlier, it would surprise me that anyone would be getting rail service as they have all told me on prior occasions that they are not planning on it (I/they could be wrong however). FWIW, one of the buildings is now tenantless, I believe it is the Foremost building from what the landlord has told me.

#21746  by SemperFiSep11

The rails are now visible ABOVE the grass and dirt on the complex side of Ridgedale Ave. That's a small step in the right direction.

Doesn't appear to be any other work going on in the area except the brush clearing up to the crossing.

#21874  by njt4172

[quote="SemperFiSep11"]The rails are now visible ABOVE the grass and dirt on the complex side of Ridgedale Ave. That's a small step in the right direction.

Semper,

I don't quite understand what you mean. I thought the rails were ALWAYS visible above the dirt.....Please clarify....

Thanks,
Steve

#22116  by njt4172

Tried to email Steve Friedland about the recent work, but he didn't give me specifics on the line. All he said was "Keep Watching"

Steve

#22608  by denvillerailfan

The rails are now visible ABOVE the grass and dirt on the complex side of Ridgedale Ave. That's a small step in the right direction.

I beleive this is what the discussion is about...
http://community.webshots.com/photo/996 ... 9678zGAnBJ

The rails next to Ridgedale Ave. had become completely covered over.
I'll see if I can get over there this week to see what's new.