Railroad Forums 

• M&E Rehabbing Vornado Spur?

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#22683  by njt4172

Jeff,

Yes, I went by their this morning and it looked like the rails were still under the dirt.....I didn't notice anything different for how it useto be!

Steve

#22893  by Greg

Steve,

That's the way they have been for the last 10 years or so. I have not seen naything run across the spur since 1995 if memory serves right. Too bad your phone call only generated a cryptic answer, I was kind of hoping that it would clear up many of the questions we had.

#23132  by SemperFiSep11

The rails were under dirt as of several months ago but as of this morning (when I drove past) they were clearly visible.

The last time I remember there being anything on the spur was when I was a lot younger and my father and I would pick up things at home depot. There would occasionally be a boxcar or two spotted along one of the warehouses.

#23579  by Greg

As of this morning the rails on the east side of the Ridgedale Ave crossing were EXACTLY as they apear in the picture linked in the above post. There has been no activity that I have seen on the east side of the crossing for many years. I pass over this crossing almost every day sometimes 5 or 6 times and I have seen no indication that anything is being done on it at this time. Perhaps in the future, but nothing is happening now on the east side.

#23930  by Angus202

checked things out on my way to home depot yesterdat - just as greg said, theres been no work done east of the crossing aside from some fresh orange paint on the inside of the rails marking a few ties to be replaced (which has also been there since I snapped that pic several weeks back).

-Ryan

#24140  by SemperFiSep11

My mistake. I had thought the actual rails themselves were beaneath the landscaped grass.

#24284  by Greg

There are rails beneath the grass, however, they have been covered for many years.

#26673  by Greg

Yesterday around 10:30 I caught a RR const. hi-rail truck passing onto the east side of the Ridgedale Ave crossing. It used the spur until the first crossing on Murray Rd. where it then go back onto the roadway. The whole incident was occompanied by flagman on both crossings.

Later in the afternoon an M&E employee was at my shop and I had the opportunity to ask him about the rehab. He told me that there are no plans to use the east side of the spur and they are only rehabbing the track and the switch off the Whippany main. He also reported that they will be replacing timbers on the Whippany River trestle. It was his belief that the spur will be used as storage for the M&E's rolling stock and locos. Hope this clears a lot of the questions up.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#26683  by njt4172

So much for storing cars on the east end of Murrary Road. I guess the railroad doesn't own the tracks adjacent to the warehouses... Oh well, at least they are replacing the bridge...

Steve

#27354  by njt4172

Jeff,

Don't get your hopes up. As Greg said, it was just the highrail truck that left the tracks where the grass was torn out. There was no train movement on the spur,

Steve

#40122  by Sir Ray

Just a bump because a.) I thought this thread might have had something to say on the Hanover Industrial Park (which it doesn't), and b.) I found a rather interesting link from Vornado properties, which includes two aerial photos of the complex and a site plan (oddly enough, the associated map points to a location in North Kansas ?)

http://www.vno.com/retail/e.hanoverw/

The page above mention easy truck access, but no mention of rail access...

BTW, is there any activity at the Hanover Industrial Park (didn't seem to be, but a lot of it is hard to access and also private property).

#41146  by Lackawanna484

Thanks, m'lord.

I knew East Hanover was pretty well off, but the demographic that half the household incomes were more than $100,000 and a quarter were more than $150,000 was a surprise.

I noticed a for large-lot sale sign on a large lot at Melanie Lane, EH, opposite the side served by M&E. Be nice to see some shippers return to that complex. Used to be a westinghouse appliance plant which received several boxcars weekly. Now it's FedEx and a health club...

#41302  by Greg

I think it is the Pespi plant that was formerly the Westinghouse facility as there is still a siding leading into the property.