Railroad Forums 

• NJT Hurricane Sandy Rebuilds

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1149758  by therudycometh

I've had a TON of questions about the M&E rebuilding NJT locomotives that were damaged in Hurricane Sandy - specifically requests for photos. I did take a bunch of photos during the project, but due to the ongoing problems at NJT due to the storm, I haven't posted anything yet. However, I've been working with the M&E management to make sure I had the proper permission to share some of my photos, and I have finally received permission now that the project is officially over. Here's a few shots of various NJT locomotives being repaired at the M&E shops between November 7, 2012 and January 25, 2013. Enjoy!

#1151255  by therudycometh

ccutler wrote:How many engines did you refurbish? How bad was the damage?
18 locomotives total, which were (in order):

NJT GP40PH-2 #4147
NJT GP40PH-2B #4201
NJT GP40PH-2B #4203
NJT MP20GP #1002
MNCW F40PH-3C #4908
MNCW F40PH-3C #4907
MNCW F40PH-3C #4913
MNCW F40PH-3C #4911
NJT GP40PH-2 #4146
NJT F40PH-2CAT #4124
MNCR GP40FH-2 #4903
NJT GP40PH-2B #4216
NJT MP20GP #1004
NJT GP40PH-2 #4105
NJT GP40PH-2B #4213
NJT GP40PH-2B #4219
NJT GP40PH-2 #4107
NJT F40PH-2CAT #4114

Damage was mostly confined to waterlogged traction motors and bearings - however, the bearings were completely shot due to salt water corrosion. We received a picture of a bearing after the traction motor rebuilders took apart one of the damaged traction motors... it looked like part of a ship that had been underwater for about 70 years.
 #1151651  by ns3010

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing!

And this goes without saying but a huge thank you to you and the rest of the guys over at the M&E for helping to get NJT back up and running! Without your hard work, who knows what kind of situation Transit, and thus, everyone that depends on it, would still be in right now. Thank you!
 #1151797  by NJTRailfan

I heard the excellent job NJT did with repairing those locomotives. I hope that if there are anymore locomotives and passenger cars to be repaired that the contract will go to the M&E. Their guys are second to none when it comes to this sort of thing. Are there anymore equipment that must be repaired/rebuilt?
 #1158676  by therudycometh

NJTRailfan wrote:I heard the excellent job NJT did with repairing those locomotives. I hope that if there are anymore locomotives and passenger cars to be repaired that the contract will go to the M&E. Their guys are second to none when it comes to this sort of thing. Are there anymore equipment that must be repaired/rebuilt?
I think NJT has everything else under control. The M&E isn't supposed to be getting anything else, at least to my knowledge.