Railroad Forums 

• Working on M&E Book!

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1144322  by therudycometh

Hello All...

I've mentioned it in passing a few times in other places and forums, but I might as well actually say it - I'm working on a book on the Morristown & Erie Railroad/Railway, covering the years 1952 to 1998. I have the cooperation of the railroad, the Whippany Railway Museum, and a whole slew of former employees - should be a great book! Here are a few teaser photos from the over 1,000 that I have to pick from....

Morristown, NJ - September 20, 1947 (Photographer unknown, Whippany Railway Museum collection)

Essex Fells, NJ - May 1952 (Henry Becker photo, Steve Hepler collection)

Morristown, NJ - April 1960 (Dr. C. K. Botkin photo, Bill Botkin collection)

Morristown, NJ - July 12, 1964 (William T. Greenberg photo, Steve Hepler collection)

Morristown, NJ - September 1976 (Al Holleuffer photo, Al Holleuffer collection)

Hometown, PA - October 14, 1984 (Bob Wilt photo, Bob Wilt collection)

Denville, NJ (?), circa 1988 (Photographer unknown, Morristown & Erie Railway collection)

Altoona, PA - October 1996 (Rudy Garbely III photo, Rudy Garbely III collection)
 #1144628  by mandealco

Put me down for a copy Rudy. Wish I had some photos of a higher quality to offer you. I do have some odd ones: Film crew riding on top of caboose #4, wedding shots, switching B&G Foods (2012), posed crew photo on #18 at Polaner (B&G Foods) 1985. Not sure they'd be as good as the ones you posted here.

Can't wait to see the book. When's it going to be printed?
Cheers
Steve
 #1144667  by therudycometh

mandealco wrote:Put me down for a copy Rudy. Wish I had some photos of a higher quality to offer you. I do have some odd ones: Film crew riding on top of caboose #4, wedding shots, switching B&G Foods (2012), posed crew photo on #18 at Polaner (B&G Foods) 1985. Not sure they'd be as good as the ones you posted here.

Can't wait to see the book. When's it going to be printed?
Cheers
Steve
I'd love to take a look at anything pre-1998 that you have - having a wider range of photos to choose from makes a better book! I'm going for interesting too - that one of the film crew on #4 sounds great!

I'm thinking it will be out near the end of the summer, if life doesn't get in the way.
 #1144833  by R36 Combine Coach

I'd also be willing to "license" some of my photos out. Most include locomotives, Whippany Railway Museum as well much of Dover-Rockaway and High Bridge Branches, 2000-present as well as ROW shots and stations.
 #1145214  by therudycometh

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I'd also be willing to "license" some of my photos out. Most include locomotives, Whippany Railway Museum as well much of Dover-Rockaway and High Bridge Branches, 2000-present as well as ROW shots and stations.
I'm only covering 1952-1998....
 #1168204  by kilroy

A little off topic but thought this would still fit.

Rudy did an excellent presentation at the Jersey Central Railway Historical Society meeting last night on the ME, from birth in 1895 to present. Lot's of interesting facts/figures/photos.

Sorry I didn't get a notice of the meeting out to RR.net before the meeting so others could join us.
 #1182912  by Earle Baldwin

Hello, Rudy.

Back in then 70s when the company had the National Locomotive rebuilding operation, I was able to photograph RS-36 1800 shortly after it was done in the paint shop. The photo has already been published once as part of an HO kitbash project in Railroad Model Craftsman. Do you already have a picture of the 1800 for your book? If not and you'd be interested in seeing mine, let me know and I'll get it out of the files. For some reason, pictures of the 1800 seem rather sparse.

Let me know.

Regards,

Bob
 #1191895  by therudycometh

Earle Baldwin wrote:Hello, Rudy.

Back in then 70s when the company had the National Locomotive rebuilding operation, I was able to photograph RS-36 1800 shortly after it was done in the paint shop. The photo has already been published once as part of an HO kitbash project in Railroad Model Craftsman. Do you already have a picture of the 1800 for your book? If not and you'd be interested in seeing mine, let me know and I'll get it out of the files. For some reason, pictures of the 1800 seem rather sparse.

Let me know.

Regards,

Bob
Bob,

I have a TON of photos of #1800. They're probably scarce elsewhere because I have them all!

Little known fact - #1800 was originally supposed to be M&E #16. This is the reason it was painted in M&E colors. The shop even made it so far as making the #16 numberboards for the locomotive, but then the M&E/National Locomotive went bankrupt and were forced to sell the locomotive to try to cover some of their losses. It was therefore lettered for National Locomotive and sat for about two years before it was sold to Naporano Iron & Metal in Newark, which used it as a switcher for about two years until it suffered some kind of massive mechanical failure and was scrapped on site.

Rudy
 #1193520  by Earle Baldwin

Rudy:

Glad to hear you have a good selection of photos of the 1800 and thanks for the additional information about the unit. I checked your website and saw the images of the covers of the M&E books. I will be first in line to buy them as they come out.

Best of luck with the project.

Bob
 #1193574  by therudycometh

Earle Baldwin wrote:Rudy:

Glad to hear you have a good selection of photos of the 1800 and thanks for the additional information about the unit. I checked your website and saw the images of the covers of the M&E books. I will be first in line to buy them as they come out.

Best of luck with the project.

Bob
I'll let you know when they come out, Bob - I'm desperately attempting to get the 1895-1952 one completed before the M&E Lehigh Limited on August 24th. However, finding time to write the book has been difficult, since I'm busy working at the railroad that I'm writing about!
 #1197902  by MEC407

therudycometh wrote:I'm working on a book on the Morristown & Erie Railroad/Railway, covering the years 1952 to 1998.
I can't wait to see the finished product! Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you're only covering the pre-1998 period?
 #1200199  by therudycometh

MEC407 wrote:
therudycometh wrote:I'm working on a book on the Morristown & Erie Railroad/Railway, covering the years 1952 to 1998.
I can't wait to see the finished product! Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you're only covering the pre-1998 period?
Two reasons - one, Ben Friedland's death in 1998 makes a good cutoff point. Second is conflict of interest - I don't want to be researching the people that I currently work for.

The first book, covering 1895-1952, will be available on August 24th. More details here: http://www.garbelypublishing.com/morris ... -1895-1952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#1210056  by therudycometh

The new book, entitled Morristown & Erie, Vol. #1 - The Early Years: 1895-1952 is now available! Check it out here: http://www.garbelypublishing.com/books/ME_EarlyYears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;