Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2013

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1131971  by Jeff Smith

Just a quick admin note: posts which relate stories of trespassing, prove trespassing, show trespassing, or otherwise advocate trespassing on private or government property, without written authorization of the owner, and whether on abandoned, inactive, or otherwise "safe" ROW, will not be tolerated on railroad.net and will result in a warning and suspension.

Thanks.
 #1131992  by therudycometh

In emphasis of the above admin note, I would strongly advise that nobody attempt to take the same photos I'm posting. My photos are taken with the permission and blessings of my supervisors and bosses, and as an employee I have access to locations that are otherwise strictly off limits. I am more than willing to share my photos so that others can see these locations, provided that nobody attempts to visit these locations themselves. The M&E has been actively cracking down on trespassing recently, so I recommend not taking your chances. If you'd like to get photos of something on our property, stop by the shop/office and get permission so our operations and security departments know you're out there and you don't get run over or arrested.
 #1143003  by NJT4115

Any sightings of freights or new locomotives?
 #1143313  by blockline4180

Posted in 2012 thread, but its 2013 now.
The 18 and four tank cars eastbound through Summit station at 10:00AM. Cars were not placarded and appeared to be vegetable oil of some kind. The 18 observed back at Morristown at about 1:00pm with a loaded center beam of packaged lumber and one tank.
 #1143851  by therudycometh

Try [email protected]

As of yesterday, the M&E passenger car "Morris County" is in the shop getting a new kitchen and bathrooms and a few other upgrades. Stay tuned!
 #1143853  by NJT4115

therudycometh wrote:Try [email protected]

As of yesterday, the M&E passenger car "Morris County" is in the shop getting a new kitchen and bathrooms and a few other upgrades. Stay tuned!
I can't quite remember which car that was. 5119?
 #1144304  by therudycometh

This one (in the shop this afternoon). Former NYC 56-seat coach #2936, built somewhere between October 1946 and March 1947 by Budd. Rebuilt to a parlor car by Ross Rowland's High Iron Co. sometime in the 1970s.

Also working on the Royal Palace - doing a truck swap. Here's a view of it in the shop today:

#1148662  by NJT4115

A question about the ALCOs.
Does NS have any ownership over them because I frequently see videos of Alcos on H02.
 #1149281  by therudycometh

No - the Alcos are solely M&E property. They are sometimes borrowed by NS for H02 because NS 3010 is the only NS locomotive with low clearance to fit under the wires on NJT, as well as one of the only NS engines fitted with NJT cab signal equipment. That's the reason that NS 3010 is the only locomotive on the NS roster that is assigned to a certain job (check the side of the cab - it says "Assigned NS H02 Dover" under the number). If NS 3010 is in the shop for something, NS doesn't have a locomotive that can run H02's route unless they borrow an M&E engine, because 18, 19, and 20 are the only other freight locomotives with the cab signals and low clearances to run on NJT.