Railroad Forums 

• TRAINSPOTTING ON THE MORRISTOWN & ERIE, 2013

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1128150  by NJT4115

Just another year of the M&E. Will the 22 start to run?
 #1128278  by mandealco

Hi and a Happy New Year from down under.

My guess is that you'll see double stack trains on the Whippany Line before #22 earns a $ for the M&E. Just a guess.

Cheers
Steve
 #1128901  by R36 Combine Coach

Caboose 100 is parked at South Jefferson Road again, after Toys For Tots. I assume 1775 is back at home in Rockaway.

Anyway, 22 is an oddball. This unit makes me want to see its original birth certificate just to make sure. It is classed as a MK TE-47-4E, but was built 1954 as a UP GP9, but looks nothing like one.
 #1128983  by mandealco

The 22 was rebuilt by M-K to be a demonstrator for their Sulzer rebuilds in 1979. It ended up as the Hornell shop switcher before coming to the M&E. It had some problems when it arrived and was never put in service. It did look good, and the paint job is still in good condition. The chopnose and "Topeka" style cab were M-K modifications. The Sulzer modifications were the new stack just behind the dynamic brake fan and the engine air intake on the LHS of the long hood. It was to receive a 'new' EMD engine, but I don't know if that ever happened. Maybe Rudy or Sandy could fill in more details.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
 #1130210  by therudycometh

Alright, to address #22:

This is my records of the engine:

Loco: M&E 22
Model: GP9
Built: 9/1954
Serial: EMD #19875
Acquired by M&E: 3/18/2006
Notes: Built as UP #278, to M-K #5001, rebuilt by Morrison-Knudsen from GP9 to TE50-4S with Stelzer diesel engine and chopped nose, reverted to GP9 by M&E

Her Sulzer engine was removed by the M&E and sold to someone that wanted to put it in a tugboat, which is actually where it belongs since it's a marine engine. #22 currently has a 567 engine block inside, but it's not secured or attached to anything, it's just resting on the frame:

In fact, the hood isn't even properly aligned, it's just temporarily applied. Here's a view behind the cab:

Here's a shot of the M-K builder's plate:

The electronics were upgraded by M-K too, and some will need to be backdated to fit the 567 block again. We also recently robbed the wheels and traction motors for #20, so it will need new wheels and motors before it runs again. It's still a possibility, but it's not on our short-term list.
 #1130215  by therudycometh

Oh, and here's some actual trainspotting....

Here are the girls up on the hill by the shop in Morristown this afternoon during some switching in the yard.

#1130555  by NJT4115

Now why does the M&E own so many MLW locomotives but not one runs or is even seen in Whippany or put in RRPX since the owner owns RRPX. I know rebuilding a locomotive is expensive but those locomotives are only getting older and are going to get more expensive to repair as vandals and weather destroy them.
 #1130570  by therudycometh

NJT4115 wrote:Now why does the M&E own so many MLW locomotives but not one runs or is even seen in Whippany or put in RRPX since the owner owns RRPX. I know rebuilding a locomotive is expensive but those locomotives are only getting older and are going to get more expensive to repair as vandals and weather destroy them.
The M&E only owns 18, 19, 20, 22, the two M420's (3562 and 3573), and the two CP-painted C424's (4216 and 4231). Every other locomotive on the property IS owned by RRPX, except for the Plymouth at the shop which I believe is owned by the Military Transport Association (it might be a different military group though). What is done with RRPX equipment is not really our business unless we're contracted to do the work, so for all intents and purposes, the only locomotives that the M&E actually has OOS are 22 (for the reasons stated above), 3562 (parts source for 3573), 4216 (good mechanical condition, possibly operational in the future), and 4231 (just about every mechanical problem in the book, parts source and likely to be scrapped).
 #1130577  by therudycometh

Oh, and here's another actual trainspotting report - 18 at Lake Junction / Chester Junction this morning around 10:30 AM. I had to deliver some things to the crew, so I grabbed some quick photos as they pulled up.

#1131173  by therudycometh

Here's one from today - our crew went to drop off #18 in Whippany for a few hours so it could be used as a mobile air compressor to blow water out of the pipes and winterize the passenger cars. I went down to pick up the crew, and caught them crossing Parsippany Road:

#1131179  by blockline4180

Nice photos Rudy, keep them coming!!

Just a question on operations.... Do you know how often that biofuel?/vegetable oil customer at the Jefferson Ave team track gets tank cars?? I'm guessing they go down to Kearny to retrieve the cars once a week or so?? I just asked because I saw 2 there today.
 #1131436  by therudycometh

blockline4180 wrote:Nice photos Rudy, keep them coming!!

Just a question on operations.... Do you know how often that biofuel?/vegetable oil customer at the Jefferson Ave team track gets tank cars?? I'm guessing they go down to Kearny to retrieve the cars once a week or so?? I just asked because I saw 2 there today.
It's biofuel, and the customer is Renewable Energy Group, the largest biofuel company in the U.S. They recently purchased the other biofuel company that used to be the customer at Jefferson Road - here's an article about it: http://www.regfuel.com/news/2012/11/29/ ... -terminals We actually just put up the new REG signs at Jefferson Road today.

As for operations, they are served as needed, just like the rest of our customers. REG uses the Jefferson Road location as both a transload and distribution point, so often tank cars will sit there full and stored until needed. When they need to send biofuel somewhere, REG will send a tank truck and the biofuel will be pumped from the tank cars into the truck and delivered to its destination. Between the recent corporate takeover and the lifted restrictions on regular fuels vs. biofuels as a result of the hurricane, we weren't getting any shipments for a while, but things have recently started to pick up pretty drastically, and it appears that REG is going to turn into a very good customer for the M&E.