Railroad Forums 

• Always wondered how they did that..

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#110447  by CGRLCDR

Today while I was sitting in traffic at the intersection of Whippany Road and Rt 10 I saw some action on the M&E at the rail museum. A locomotive was idling with a sting of passenger cars that I assume they were going to use for the Easter Bunny train. After a few minutes the engineer pulled up about 40 feet and stopped, then after a few minutes more he pulled up again. Curiousity got the best of me, so I drove over to the bank parking lot to see what was going on.

There was a large septic vaccum tank truck in the parking lot emptying out the holding tanks in each one of the cars. After he finished one, he'd signal the engineer who would pull up and stop, while he emptied the next one and so on. That makes sense; I always wondered how they did that. How does NJT empty their tanks - probably the same way I would guess. Please, no sh*tty jokes. This is a serious matter.;)

Anyhow, I just thought I'd share this fascinting bit of information.
Last edited by CGRLCDR on Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#110462  by The Rising

I'm sooooo....sorry about this.... but :-D

This thread sounds pretty sh!@#ty to me!!!! :-D

I tried, really I did, but I couldn't resist. :-D

The temptation was more than I could handle.

As for what NJ Transit does with theirs.....

:-D I think the answer may can be found at One Penn Plaza..... :-D

I know, I'm going to be banned for life for that response, but I couldn't help myself.

See ya al later....... :wink:

#110541  by Lackawanna484

The new rules on waste disposal make it prohibitively expensive to just dump the waste (like DL&W's MU) on the tracks. Retention toilets mean somebody has to pump it out. If the railroad had a huge need (like NJT) for lots of pumping, they'd buy capacity from a sewage authority for a few thousand gallons every month, and shoot it down the pipe. An outfit like M&E probably needs a pump once a week on one or two locomotives, hardly worth getting an EPA certified disposal facility established.

#110598  by Jtgshu

If im not mistaken, the toilets on NJT's fleet are all chemical/bacteria toilets. Bacteria is added to the waste adn holding tank, and cleans the water and recycles it. Only once in a while is the tank actually cleaned, AFAIK.

Penn Plaza is a good place too!!!! In burning brown bags to boot

#110615  by PRRGuy

Seems like a popular type as all the toliets on our trains (NICTD) are the same type, however we flush them out with water then add more bacteria to them, as well as sanitize them..all about once a month or if they have to go into the shop for a rebuild.