Railroad Forums 

• Passaic River bridge

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#6586  by Jihn z

Good to see work is progressing, thanks for the pic Jeff. Rumor was on ye ol' forum that everything would be complete by the summer, looks good as of now.

#6700  by njt4172

John,

Good stuff!!! Any yes, some M&E guys told me that the major track work should be done by August!!!

Steve

#6730  by james1787

Where is the Passaic River bridge located? Is this part of the RVRR rebuild through Springfield, Kenilworth, etc.. ?
 #6743  by RS115

This is bridge over the Passaic river is on the original M&E about 1/3 mile west of the Eisenhower Parkway grade crossing in Roseland.

#6938  by njt4172

I always noticed that M&E claims the Whippany line passes in the Township of Livingston BEFORE it enters Roseland. What portion of the line goes through Livingston? When I look at the County map it just shows the line going directly from East Hanover to Roseland!

Thanks in advance,
Steve

#7174  by Greg

Steve,

The maps that I have purchased from the individual towns for my business-E. Hanover, Livingston, Roseland-show that it only passes through E. Hanover and Roseland.
 #7488  by RS115

Took a walk around Whippany yesterday and RR Construction is preparing to do tie replacement on the main through the station area continuing east. Some ties also marked on the east end of the run-around track. There were two small tie puller machines tied down on the house track lead for the weekend.

As to Livingston I've not seen where they claim to go there and believe the folks with the maps are correct. There were postings on the old forum referring to Livingston in connection with the contractor railroad used to build Route 80 - the equipment was delivered to a location in Livingston from a connection off the M&E in Roseland.
 #12113  by Al Holleuffer

The Passaic River Trestle spans the river between East Hanover and Livingston, not Roseland. The railroad does not enter Roseland Boro until after crossing Eisenhower Parkway. Prior the present road being constructed Beaufort Avenue was the road which crossed the track at that point. The Livingston Police department has a pistol range right past the east end of the trestle on the north side of the embankment. The railroad also pays taxes to the town.

Al Holleuffer
Former Superintendent,
M&E Ry. Inc.

#12480  by Tri-State Tom

Apologies Al....just got caught up on my email.

#12636  by Al Holleuffer

Hi Tom, No apology necessary. I'm way behind myself. Never enough time, especially when you work for the railroad.

Al

#19256  by 7 Train

Thanks, Al. I always knee the M & E main line run clipped through the the NW corner of Livingston; but the Essex County street and road maps show the M & E line in Roseland only.