Railroad Forums 

• LAL, BH, WNYP Train Movements 2012

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#1085632  by ebtmikado

I got to see the B&H train last Monday, Sept. 17. We caught the 424 and 422 in Campbell, running light to Painted Post.
They met a NS job on the wye.
Great to see those ALCOs.

Lee
 #1102997  by the1jp

While heading to work Tues AM, I watched the 425 head north thru the Avon village yard. She seemed to be headed to tie onto the 420 and 428 sitting just north of Barilla Drive. Was there a very heavy train waiting to go south or was there a break down? Does anyone have any info?
 #1118467  by joshuahouse

423, 422, and 5 were headed eastwards towards Corning when I saw them around 1230 this afternoon. #5 is pointed towards Cohocton, so it should be in the lead when they return unless it's getting dropped off in Coopers Plains.
 #1118521  by scottychaos

joshuahouse wrote:423, 422, and 5 were headed eastwards towards Corning when I saw them around 1230 this afternoon. #5 is pointed towards Cohocton, so it should be in the lead when they return unless it's getting dropped off in Coopers Plains.
Number 5 out on the road? hmmm..thats a bit scary.
(my first thought was "is she being dropped off in Gang Mills for transport somewhere else?")
although I suppose its possible she is just being used because they needed a horsepower boost for an unusually long train..
hope she makes the trip back!

Are 4 or 5 used on road trains still on occasion?

Scot
 #1118592  by joshuahouse

I'm not sure how often they are still used for road trains. Perhaps it's on its way to LAL proper for some sort of work. The train headed east was only three cars long, I wasn't able to chase or stick around downtown to see them come back.

Here they are passing MJ Wards. And yes I was wrong back in the spring about the removal of the grain silos. They did remove some but not the entire thing.

Close-up link on my website. http://joshua-house.artistwebsites.com/ ... house.html
Attachments:
423, 422, and S1 #5 pass by MJ Wards in Bath New York 12/12/12
423, 422, and S1 #5 pass by MJ Wards in Bath New York 12/12/12
ALCO holic WEB.jpg (108.36 KiB) Viewed 8155 times
 #1118640  by Mike Stellpflug

I've seen them use this power combo before, with the switcher being left at the gas storage facility with a crew.
The 2 big engines then take the train to Painted Post. Could be a possible explanation.

Mike
 #1119032  by Matt Langworthy

Number 5 is in service at this time, so I agree with Mike's assessment. The speed limit on the B&H isn't very high- I don't the trip won't be taxing on the little S1 at all.

Nice catch, Joshua!
 #1119205  by railbird steve

when I was at hornell O.T.B. tuesday , the W.N.Y.P. local came thru westbound back to olean- had a susy-q engine in the consist-was that one of the RS-18 s ? still looked good in yellow jacket , better than the lead W.N.Y.P . rust red leader J.M.O.
 #1119381  by Sandy Burton

Steve, What you saw was a C-430 that was formerly on the NYS&W. It has been in Lakeville for several years being overhauled. Other posts have indicated that it is on its way to Olean.

Sandy
 #1120385  by pablo

Steve, there's quite a bit here that explains what the engines are and reasons for their paint...or the lack thereof. Please feel free to click around and see what's here.

Dave Becker
 #1120493  by mandealco

Hi
I photographed the 3006 at Lakeville in June, where it was sitting out the back looking a little neglected. There were large patches of primer, both grey and red oxide, and even a piece of plywood over part of the central air intake on the engineer's side. I suspect the paint had been on there for a while. It was the second time I'd seen the 3006, the first being outside the engine house in Binghamton in August 1985, it was also the day I met Sandy Burton for the first time. Should have visited more often.

For a photo, check out the 50 Alcos in 3 days thread on this forum.
Cheers
Steve
NZ
 #1120996  by Matt Langworthy

Number 3006 was still Lakeville when I visited there on Fri 7/27... so it's noce to know she's finally out on the road.