Railroad Forums 

• Visiting from down under

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#990982  by mandealco

Hi
My Wife Laura & I are planning a vacation to North America for next June. Amoung the plans so far is a ride on the Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto, then rail to Niagara Falls and New York City.

I have managed to reserve a day and a half stopover in Rochester. The plan is to rent a car and head to the WNY&P with a short stop at the LA&L. Not having a lot of local knowledge, and still wanting to maximise the Alco experience, are there any tips some of you can give us so we can see as much Alco action or even static Alcos, as possible. We're looking at being there around the 8/9 June 2012. We will be catching the early train to Penn Station the next moring.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
 #991301  by NS59

It is quite possible that the "schedule" could change between now and then. I try to get down to Olean as often as I can and would be happy to try to keep you posted as you visit draws near. Do not forget Cohocton where the C636 demonstrators are stored. This would be enroute from Lakeville to Olean if you are headed that way. If I happen to be headed to Olean that day I would be more than happy to show you around
 #991313  by mandealco

Hi NS59
Would love to see the C-636 demos. I hear one has been moved recently.

Still working on the details, but looks like it's going to be a busy, but fun time. Just booked the VIA Rail Canadian leg of our vacation today. Looks like we have a room in the Park Car. Awesome.

I'll post again, closer to June.

Thanks
Steve
 #991463  by erie2521

If you plan to visit Lakeville, you shouldprobably contact the LA&L office and get permission to wander around. They have instituted some rules about that. Probably for their facilities on the WNY&P as well. Ted
 #1003960  by joshuahouse

And your wife is interested in chasing trains around upstate after just having gone across the continent on one? There actually are plenty of other things to do in the Rochester area, but if she like chasing as well, that's great!
 #1004218  by Blabey1

Steve:
Please contact me at the LAL Railroad (585)346-2090 when you arrive in the US. I'll be happy to set up shop tours at Lakeville or at the WNYP terminal at Olean.
Eugene H. Blabey
President/CEO
LAL/B&H/WNYP