Railroad Forums 

• WNYP Hornell Ops

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#776589  by njt4154

I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to when the WNYP ran into Hornell? I would like to plan a trip at some point out to check them out..as well as the B&H and LAL...I know there is a page dedicated to the 3 railroads, but it seems to be not as popular as the NYS forum. Any help is appreciated
 #776614  by Flat-Wheeler

In the friendliest way, all I can ask, is why do railfans inquire schedules on non class 1's ? Most shortlines and many regionals do not have set schedules, and run as required.

Yes, it would be interesting to know. In fact, if I believed WNY&P has a set schedule they commit to, I'd have asked the same question here. I've spent a continuous two days along the tracks both sides of Alfred, and never saw a movement.
 #776619  by Matt Langworthy

njt4154 wrote:I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to when the WNYP ran into Hornell? I would like to plan a trip at some point out to check them out..as well as the B&H and LAL...I know there is a page dedicated to the 3 railroads, but it seems to be not as popular as the NYS forum. Any help is appreciated
The WNYP's schedule is not set in stone but they usually do a turn to Hornell on Tuesday and Thursday in the afternoon/evening, as well as Sunday morning. IMO, the best way to chase the WNYP is set up at CP Cass in Hornell. If WNYP comes into town, then you can follow it back westward. If the WNYP local doesn't show up, you can still catch NS/CP activity there. I've caught WNYP twice at CP Cass- the first time was on a Saturday afternoon (which happens on occasion) and the second time was on a Thursday evening.

The B&H and the LA&L often run M-W-F to their interchanges with other RRs but again their respective schedules can change. The best thing to do is let them know at least a day in advance that you'll be stopping by their yard. When you do go, head to the office and sign a release. (Both of those items are required by the LA&L/B&H.) If you go to Lakeville, get there early e.g. 7 AM. For the B&H, 8 AM works out pretty well. Good luck!
 #776654  by njt4154

Thanks for the responses. I live quite far from Hornell and want to be damn sure to get them if I make the trek out there. I would think a Thurs/Fri trip would make it probable to see some action
 #776657  by nessman

I thought the LAL properties started turning away railfans?

Some shortlines have a schedule, others don't. And even the ones that do have schedules - it's never a sure thing. Sometimes it's luck.
 #776751  by Noel Weaver

Starting with the last post first, you should ALWAYS railfan from public property then the railroad can NOT turn you away.
They may not like you but they can't really do anything about it.
Second, I think this is a very reasonable question, some railroads do have a plan of operations and that might be true in
this case too. Some railroads do run freight trains in a pattern, the Florida East Coast is a good example of that, I can
expect to see the same trains every day at the same or pretty close to the same time, some do not but the "grapevine" is a
good source and I think in some cases the "grapevine" is here.
Noel Weaver
 #776816  by ckwwestshore

Technically LAL is on a MWF schedule, but they run every weekday. Once in a great while they won't but it had never happened to me that way. Bottom line: LAL runs any given weekday. Also, you may want to consider forgoing hornell and trying to catch the driftwood turn. I don't know when this runs, but if you're making such a long trip, a few extra miles won't hurt.
 #776833  by nessman

Noel Weaver wrote:Starting with the last post first, you should ALWAYS railfan from public property then the railroad can NOT turn you away.
They may not like you but they can't really do anything about it.
I understand that and agree with you. My point being that once upon a time you could stop in the enginehouse, sign a waiver and have free roam of the property. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the LAL no longer permits this so all 'fanning must now be done from public property.
 #776875  by PVRX1

Hornell Turn has not popped up yet this morning (Sunday), but there is a B&P job around Driftwood currently.
 #801693  by ckwwestshore

By afternoons and evenings, Matt, what time do you mean? If I wanted to sit in Hornell for 3 hours on a Tuesday or Thursday afternoon, when should I?
 #814242  by sjl

I'll be visiting the Corning area for a couple of days next week. What are the chances of seeing a train on the line from Hornell to Gang Mills on a Sunday?

Thanks,

Ron
 #814442  by ckwwestshore

Ron, pretty good chances actually! Sit around 2 and wait for 13T to come east through Hornell (usually between 2 and 4), and chase him east. At Gang Mills wait another couple hours for either 12T or 39T to come westbound. 23K also runs, and they've been running later lately putting them by Hornell at like 3 or so, however they can be as early as 9 am. PM me if you have any questions. Then if you're willing to gamble, 38T could come east any time before noon if it isn't annuled for the day.
 #815779  by sjl

Thanks for the info Charlie. We had planned to be in the Hammondsport area in the early afternoon Sunday. If I can talk my SO into it, we'll detour for Gangs Mills on our way east after leaving HP later in the afternoon.

On my last visit to the area in March, I was fortunate enough to catch an eastbound coming through Hornell and chased it to Addison. I have yet to see the B&H in Painted Post though -- another on my "bucket list".

Ron