Railroad Forums 

• LA&L, B&H, WNYP Train Movements 2010

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#773148  by scottychaos

Mike Stellpflug wrote:Actually, when you think about it, 420 is set up to run as long hood forward.
good point! :-D
sometimes high-hoods "switch ends" later in life..
but it would appear 420 has not:

http://www.danstrainyard.us/webphotos/l ... 006003.JPG

Scot
 #773859  by alsorailfan

"Posting of pictures are going to have to wait until the weekend. Our computer just now went into the shop...over 6 years old and just not performing as it should any more :( "
Ended up with a new one which made the old one feel like the original dial up :P Bad news: couldn't find the pictures. Good news: found the pictures and retransferred but only after a week of looking. Bad news: Just discovered via search now must have 3 copies of everthing but no idea where to find the other two! Good news: am posting those pictures-see W MX thread. Thanks. Bad news: so busy with the new computer and shoveling snow missed the opportunity to catch 420 long hood forward and possibly meeting a few fellow railfans! Good news; Mike nice shot! ckwwestshore: still waiting to see your pictures! No pressure! :P
chris
 #775304  by railwatcher

02/24/10 Caught the northbound movement into Avon before 9am this morning, with #420 leading #425 coupled each at the short hoods,running longhooded. How long have they been running this way? I have been missing the movements but from other posts pictures I see it has been at least a few days.
Greg
 #775354  by scottychaos

railwatcher wrote:02/24/10 Caught the northbound movement into Avon before 9am this morning, with #420 leading #425 coupled each at the short hoods,running longhooded. How long have they been running this way? I have been missing the movements but from other posts pictures I see it has been at least a few days.
Greg
Going back through this thread..
On Feb 8, 420 and 425 were seeing operating "normally"..both cabs facing out..
then on Feb 18 they were spotted in the current configuration, both cabs facing inward..

So the change happened sometime between the 8th and the 18th..

Scot
 #775497  by ckwwestshore

It sounds like the LAL 425 and BH 422 were being used together, hoods facing out, and them 420 was needed, so they slapped it on the front, LHF. Then 422 was taken out, so therefore there it left the other two. Just speculating. My question is this though; why don't they just take 10 minutes and turn them around??? Wouldn't it be easier on the crew's necks?
 #775543  by railwatcher

scottychaos wrote: So the change happened sometime between the 8th and the 18th..

Scot
Being that I have been out of the loop for seeing the trains, I was unsure if they had a change in operations as to running them longhooded forward as maybe a safety precaution. I have heard it said that some of these engines were designed for long hood forward operation. SO, I was curious as to whether I really had missed an operations change. I also noted a picture I saw recently of a WNYP loco running similar. It left me thinking (I should know better than do that)!!

Greg
 #775609  by ckwwestshore

I doubt it is standard procedure. Can you really see the Driftwood turn with a M636 running Long Hood forward? Anyway, it may be possible that there was an error with one of 420's control stands or they have decided to start running F end forward.
 #775754  by Luther Brefo

Charlie et al,

Understand that if there was indeed a problem with the control stand on any locomotive (especially with the reverser or the throttle) that locomotive would not be on the road in service hauling trains, and definitely not in the lead. Railroads don't play games when it comes to faulty equipment.

How about this, the 420 was running long hood forward because the railroad and its crews decided to do so. This is not the first time it has happened and will not be the last. Locomotives run just as well forwards and reverse, long hood leading or short hood leading. Current is current, tractive effort is tractive effort. The locomotives MU the same way in any order and will operate just fine. And if they want/need to wye the power, there are provisions for this.

Relax and enjoy the scenery.
 #775757  by Luther Brefo

ckwwestshore wrote:My question is this though; why don't they just take 10 minutes and turn them around??? Wouldn't it be easier on the crew's necks?

For your information:

420's control stand is mounted parallel with the frame so "neck strain" is not really a factor and the seats do rotate as needed.