Railroad Forums 

• WNYP action in Wellsville / Andover

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#609338  by Benjamin Maggi

My in-laws are from this area and when I visit I am always looking for a train. However, I have never seen one and my wife swears that she only saw 2 there her entire life (but she also says that she never cared about it then... before she married a railfan... so her memory might be suspect.) Can someone advise me on the railroad scene down there? Do trains still run on the line, and what is their frequency? What motive power is usually used?

Thanks.
 #609425  by super7cr

Andover is Milepost JC 348.67 and Wellsville is JC 357.43 on WNYP's line from Hornell to Meadville. As a matter of reference, Hornell is JC 332.0. JC = Jersey City on the Erie Lackawanna.

WNYP is running coal trains on this railroad on a daily basis and I believe they interchange with the NS at Hornell now. NS runs the WNYP cars on the rear end of 12T or 310 out of Buffalo, and I'm not sure if they drop them en route to Gang Mills or if a local brings them back out west the next day. I do know the WNYP is running a train between Hornell and Olean when there are cars at Hornell to be picked up.

Someone that lives closer probably knows more about current operations.
 #610343  by pablo

I would assume Meadville-Hornell, but with a stop in Olean. Is this running on a twelve hour schedule?

David Becker
 #610426  by RS-3

As I understand it operations really haven't changed, its just now symboled as MEHN east of Olean. Thus MEHN crew runs Meadville to Olean overnight (in theory) and then the former "Hornell Turn" crew takes it on east to Hornell and back to Olean still under the MEHN and HNME symbol where the first crew takes over again for the run to Meadville. So basically the Hornell Turn still runs, its just now part of the MEHN/HNME.

RS
 #688855  by Benjamin Maggi

I talked with some people in Wellsville over the past few weeks, and they told me that there is no "normal" time the trains run. It is random, and not even limited to the day or night. So much for trainspotting in that area.
 #690183  by C. J. Brooks

Keep a scanner handy at all times on the WNY&P channel - they get forms to operate along this stretch and regularly clear up at various points along the way. The dispatcher bases are incredibly strong, so you should have no problem hearing them talking. That's about all I can suggest...
 #924486  by Benjamin Maggi

Doubt much has changed, but I will be in the area this weekend and wondered if anyone knew of any trains to be run on Saturday or Sunday. I don't own a scanner, but someday...
 #1412165  by Benjamin Maggi

Was in the area over the weekend and saw a dozen or more covered hoppers on a passing siding between Scio and Wellsville. I don't know if they were being used for storage or for an online customer, but nothing nearby seemed to take rail service. Anybody know the story?