Railroad Forums 

• LAL 421

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#40707  by joydivision350125

Hi all,

I had heard quite some time ago that LAL/B&H/WNYP C424M #421 had gone into the shop for rehab, then never heard another word about it.

Is this unit now in service or still in the shop? Were there any unforeseen problems that surfaced during its overhaul?

Any information is appreciated.

Jeff in Baltimore

#45034  by PVRX

It was supposed to be kept around Lakeville as a spare, when completed, but I haven't talked to anyone in a while. I will see what I can find out.

Ontario Lines RS11 #36 had been hiding in the shop, back corner of the new track awaiting wheel work and such. Don't know if that was ever touched from last summer.

#47157  by Mike Stellpflug

The 421 is still being rehabed, but it does have the number 421
painted under the cab window now.

The Ontario Lines RS-11 #36 is also in the shop now receiving
some work.
 #59695  by railwatcher

I saw #421 leading #420 and a string of cars North at the E River Rd crossing on the LAL RR on 10/6/04. It was doing the job alright but sure could use a paint job. #421 is marked with its numbers directly under the windows much like #426 and others not yet completely painted in the LAL scheme.
 #62272  by joydivision350125

I noted on the LAL Yahoogroup today that NYSW #3000 is now in the shop being worked on.
 #70888  by the1jp

After many years of running just two units, it was strange and wonderful to see the three diedels still lashed together on the 23rd of Nov. I wonder if this is going to be normal or is the LA & L so busy they haven't had time to break them apart ?
:-D
 #111982  by railwatcher

LAL #421 entered Avon,NY this morning leading a 24 car train with #420 & 424 headed for Rochester. It appears that Wednesday traffic load seem to be the largest of the week, by looks of the train loads of late, with the three Alco's handling the load. Covered Hoppers and Tankers heading North.
 #118519  by railwatcher

421, 420 and several cars entered Avon shortly after 9 am today, switched some cars at Kraft and headed north. Must 424 is getting a break

#118684  by Matt Langworthy

Yeah, I saw today's train, too. It crossed Jefferson Rd at 12:15PM, with #421 in the lead. As it so happened I was in the parking lot for MacGregor's, which BTW is a great spot to watch both LAL and CSX. The train was kind of a surprise. LAL usually runs M-W-F so I wasn't expecting to hear a train horn or crossing gate bells as I was leaving the establishment.

Railwatcher, did you notice that the engines were running elephant style? I guess #420 would have led the train back to Lakeville with her long hood forward. Not a big deal, as #420 has occasionally pulled short trains solo, but interesting, anyway. I can't wait to see #421 in full LAL paint 'cause #420 is so clean and shiny she looks brand-new! :-D

Today's consist had 24 cars- mostly covered hoppers and tankers, with 1 boxcar right behind the engines.

I'll have a new thread later this week after I head east to 'fan the OMID! (Note: subject to a train running on Fri. 4/22.)