Railroad Forums 

• First NS Through Coal Train on WNYP Tuesday AM

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#1954  by nessman

Reliable sources indicate that the very first NS through coal train will be leaving Meadville and heading eastbound tomorrow morning.

The tentative schedule for this week is one train train Tuesday, another on Thursday and one on Saturday. An empty is scheduled to come back west about around Wednesday or Thursday.

Happy chasing.

#2125  by aguita

Seeing is believing in this case. "Reliable" or not. :(

#2138  by Kyle_Norek

Just listening to the NS 161.070 road frequency for the NS Buffalo Line and according to a couple of NS maintainers, the crew for the NS coal train ordered at 0930 hours at Meadville. Supposedly the crew is only good for 130 miles for one reason or another, placing the train ready for a crew change in the Olean area. Could end up being like the early CR era when through trains on the old E-L would change crews in front of the office at the "new" Olean Yard. It'd be pretty weather to chase it in, but in most areas the roads are in terrible shape.

#2164  by nessman

aguita wrote:Seeing is believing in this case. "Reliable" or not. :(
I think you can ask anyone here that the info I post is solid and that my sources are those people who are in the industry or otherwise in the know. I don't buy into rumors. My website and lists have been around since 1997. My record speaks for itself.

Anyway - today's a good day to shoot some winter WNYP action with NS trains.

Further information I received today that around 1:00 PM today that the first NS detour train will be heading west from Hornell to Olean. My source said detour trains (as in more than one) but my source couldn't elaborate any further.

The WNYP is fully open for business today boys and girls. This is a HUGE milestone for them.

#2188  by aguita

Relax Les. I wasn't taking a shot at you, or your info. Its just that we have heard this all before, several times. Maybe this time it is for real, but I just don't get too excited about it anymore unless the rails are squealing. :wink:

#2191  by nessman

aguita wrote:Relax Les. I wasn't taking a shot at you, or your info. Its just that we have heard this all before, several times. Maybe this time it is for real, but I just don't get too excited about it anymore unless the rails are squealing. :wink:
Trust me - it's for real.

#2256  by aguita

Les,

I love the photo under your user I.D. That guy makes me laugh everytime I see him.

#2264  by Kyle_Norek

There was a 13T detour southbound through here (Portville, NY, about 10 miles south of Olean on the NS Buffalo Line) about an hour ago with three units and 80 or so cars. I don't know if this train went over the WNYP or not, because if it had it would have had to make two run-around moves, one at Hornell and one in Olean.

#2303  by Whistleblower

Hello fellow railroad lovers!!!
I am new to this site so please be gentle.
I see a little scuddle bug about the big long coal train going over the WNYP. Some of you believe you sources are very reliable, I'm sure they are; however, the coal train will not go over today. There is rumor it will go over tomorrow, but I would not hold my breath. I have been following this line since the mid 80's. One thing I have learned, if you don't see it, chances are it did not happen. If it does go tomorrow, HORRAY, if not, I will not fall off my stool. Les, I hope your feelings are not hurt by being wrong today.
See ya
 #2320  by 3footer

I know this is off topic for this thread BUT....This might play into WNYPRR's hands for a short season in the form of detoured trains- 11 of 118 cars on a NS frieght derailed near Burns on the Southern Tier line today. It is being reported on one of the local Hornell AM radio stations. It has apparently torn up some track along with bending some steel. The tier is effectively tied up.

Brian Lynch, Wellsville, NY
"Shut her down, we'll thrash tomorrow"

#2323  by Kyle_Norek

I don't know about the coal train (although I did hear the Buffalo Line dispatcher say the crew was called at Meadville for it at 0930 this morning), but I'm pretty sure the NS detours did move over the WNYP today from Hornell-Olean because they were supposedly trapped between Binghamton and Hornell on the Southern Tier line because of the 40T derailment in Burns, NY early this morning. Whatever the case, as said before, this NS trackage rights deal is really good news for a line that was pretty much abandoned about ten years ago.

#2349  by railwatcher

go to www.eveningtribune.com

Tonights front page tells why the diversions are going to Olean. So Tier Line from Hornell to Buffalo is a mess. 11 cars off the tracks. This isnt gonna get fixed in an couple of hours!
 #2353  by 3footer

89 cars of mixed freight passed through Wellsville shortly after 5:00PM. It was heading west. We have several eyewitnesses here....
Brian Lynch, Wellsville, NY
"Shut her down, We'll thrash tomorrow"

#2452  by nessman

NS 12T departed Hornell at 1533
NS 12T arrived CP-OLEAN 1755
NS 524 from Meadville about midnight tonight.
NS 525 from Hornell tomorrow morning around daybreak.

#2620  by aguita

Keep your fingers crossed for coal today or tomorrow boys. Some pretty substantial rumors are floating through the lines.