Railroad Forums 

• Welded Rail and Infrastructure Multi-Year Upgrades

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#391866  by Luther Brefo

Otto Vondrak wrote:Luther, do you know where they are supposed to start? Are they working from end to end, or moving the work around the line?
I would assume that they would start at 359.19 in Lakeville (just north of Conesus Lake Junction) and run north from there as they have done with the tie replacement phase.

As they progress north, the remainder of the new switches would be cut in as necessary.

#395415  by alsorailfan

Friday 5/4/07, Tie replacement crew picked up where they left off a week ago Wednesday just north of Leigh Valley overpass and were in front of Industry at about 3:30 PM. One of the workers said that they should be finishing up within a week. From E. River road, how much further do they have to go? To just where the CWR ends or the whole line up to GJ?

#395431  by alsorailfan

My mistake on dates from previous post...should be Tuesday May 1st.!

#395928  by Luther Brefo

alsorailfan wrote:From E. River road, how much further do they have to go? To just where the CWR ends or the whole line up to GJ?
Because no ties have been marked as far as I can see south of Bailey Road, I would assume hey will only work to where the markings end (also where the welded rail will end.) While there are other ties that may need to be replaced further north, I think this is something that LA&L will do through Western Track Works (an LA&L subsidiary.) Also, towards the end of the line here, the speed rarely exceeds 15 miles per hour because of the reverse curve and the fact that it is near the end of the line.

#398679  by Luther Brefo

It seems the tie replacements are done. Ballast has been cleared from the tops of ties and from the side of the rail to enhance access to the spikes and tie plates.

#401105  by railwatcher

It appears the welded rail is ready to be installed. Some has been moved between the rails around Avon. Sunday evening I saw a rail gang at the Main street Crossing in Avon.
 #404474  by Luther Brefo

More welded rail has been moved in gauge. Today, contractors were sighted at Industry Depot moving lengths of rail in gauge and pulling them into the curvature of the current stick rail.

Later in the evening, LA&L Maintenance crews were spotted checking out the work completed as well as inspecting the line for tomorrow's train.

#405844  by Luther Brefo

Word has come in from a friend that the contractors were out today along the line welding sections of CWR (continuous welded rail) together in preparation for installation.
Last edited by Luther Brefo on Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#406689  by conrail6479

Luther Brefo wrote:Word has come in from a friend that the contractors were out today along the line welded sections of CWR (continuous welded rail) together in preparation for installation.
Luther, yesterday the contractors were at industry Depot. they were cutting and moving the welded rail to the west side of the depot, and i help them with the road traffic.

#410455  by Luther Brefo

Nice videos Chris!

In semi-recent news, the sections of CWR that were laid in gauge were there for measuring and cutting. There are new welds where sections of rail were cut and welded to get the right lengths of rail. The rail has now been moved out of gauge once more.
 #416404  by the1jp

A gang of about a dozen men were putting tie plates in position on Wed. AM north out of Avon.
Are we going to see big equipment for this change or is the equipment siiting in the siding in Avon it?