Railroad Forums 

• Welded Rail and Infrastructure Multi-Year Upgrades

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#435084  by railwatcher

Mike Walsh wrote:Where is Brooks Road? I would imagine you meant Brooks Ave, but that's not LAL property so I cannot think of where that is.

Thanks

Mike, If you travel on West Henrietta Rd. and turn to go to the RIT Inn and Conference center (formerly Thruway Marriott). That road is Brooks Rd. And, it goes to East River Rd, and ends, thus crossing the LAL Tracks.

This isnt a highly traveled road, although they have done several upgrades to it in the past year. They dont allow buses for RIT to travel it due to the farm up the road from the inn, the owner says the noise distrubs her animals. Those LAL night trains have got to really ruffle their feathers! :-D

Greg

#435239  by Luther Brefo

The rail gang is said to be returning to work this Sunday after a well deserved rest and rejuvenation period. Come on down to catch the action on the LA&L mainline as well as the Diesel Days Event brought to you by the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum. I'll be there.

#435882  by boblenon

Contractor out on 8/19/2007 laying rail into gauge for replacement of west rail north of Rt 251 (Industry).

#437629  by clearblock

On the morning of Thursday 8/23 I saw that the west rail work was crossing Erie Station Rd. The Pettibone swing boom was placing rail north of the crossing and the spiking crew was working north between E River and Erie Station Rd.

Work is moving right along. It is great to see a significant upgrade like this to the local rail infrastructure.

#438129  by railwatcher

8/25/07 On the WNYP in Allegany county, near Tip Top, MOW crews were working on the CWR at this location. As we headed from Alfred Station into Andover village, I noticed the CWR that was yet to be installed near the ponds.

Greg

#440083  by Luther Brefo

I've been out of town in Indiana, Pennsylvania, New Jersey but now I am back. Where are we at now? I imagine the welding is done and it is time for fresh stone and tamping. Or has that been done already?

#440098  by railwatcher

Middle of laying fresh stone on the LAL, WNYP has welded rail being worked on in Allegany Co., Lakeville and Cohocton are busy in the repair business, and the newly aquired Buffalo line has been extremely busy south of Olean. Oops! I forgot, 4228 was lost, but now is found but still not here, 426 is getting its wheels fixed at the B&LE after the derailment. Now I think I have got it all. Welcome back. Now, you know what happens to me when I take an extended bus trip.

Greg

#440374  by alsorailfan

How far north has the new stones been laid down? Tampering? Would like to try to catch something in action......

chris

#440413  by railwatcher

alsorailfan wrote:How far north has the new stones been laid down?

chris
My last trip up East River Rd. was a couple days ago and there was not any fresh stone in place at East River Rd., (this is the lower East River Rd. Crossing below Erie Station Rd.) in Town of Henrietta, NY

#440734  by Luther Brefo

Fresh ballast and a relatively large pile of ballast were spotted at Papermill Road. I've been busy these last few days to investigate further but there is stone to be spread, relegated, and tamped as needed.

#440735  by Luther Brefo

alsorailfan wrote:Tampering?
chris
Tamping. It is done to get the stone to settle to form a solid support and drainage system for the ties and rails. Stone gets tamped up and it fills in the little gaps here and there. Basically it is settling the roadbed. Often times new track gets tamped and leveled. Tamping also relieves soft spots as the stone forms a rigid base.

#440757  by alsorailfan

Thanks for the info Luther. But I meant where. =-)

chris

#440759  by Luther Brefo

alsorailfan wrote:Thanks for the info Luther. But I meant where. =-)

chris
Oh. Papermill Road, it looked to be lots of freshly spread stone not yet tamped. I did not investigate too deeply as it was late in the evening and I was simply out for a drive. This was a few nights back so they may have moved forward but there should still be locks of stone north of the crossing.

#442068  by Luther Brefo

More mounds of ballast, this time just south of the Route 251 crossing. It looks like the ballast is coming in by truck and being dropped at strategic points along the line.

New (to us) rail and fresh ballast. Surely a sign of progress! :)