Railroad Forums 

• The Mysterious Blue Tarp...

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#223287  by Luther Brefo

In several of the pictures on my site, taken by myself, Scot, Doug, Mike, Greg, and others there is a mysterious object in a blue tarp that is trackside at the Lakeville Facility.

Personally I believe it is a replacement Alco 251-C but cannot confirm this. Does anyone else know what it truly is?

This is just a matter of curiosity for me.

Here are some images...

I think is is it without the blue tarp here....

Scot's pic...

My pic...
 #223303  by Matt Langworthy

Has LAL announced a plan to overhaul one of the former GB&W Centuries? That could explain the presence of the 251-C in the yard. The tarp was probably intended for protection against the wind and rain we've had today.

#223428  by Luther Brefo

Scot's image is from August, 2002 and mine is form November 2005. But the prime mover and the blue tarped object seem to be in the same place...

If that is a prime mover then I am sure that is why they would have wrapped it in tarp (save it from the elements)

I do not know of any of the C424ms or C430 in Lakevill ebeing reactivated. Although 421 is in for repainting...

I have no proof of that potential prime mover going into anything...For all we know it could have come out of something...

#223487  by scottychaos

I dont know what kind of engine is under the blue tarp..
but at one time it was covered in a tarp that said "EMD" on it!! Image

Scot

#223508  by Luther Brefo

scottychaos wrote:I dont know what kind of engine is under the blue tarp..
but at one time it was covered in a tarp that said "EMD" on it!! Image

Scot
Oh no...

#223934  by N.Y. narrow guage

You guys look at individual valve covers you see on alco.
On emd s their is two long valve cover. Their turbo
on water pump end on alco. Emd turbo and roots blowers
are at main gen end. :P
I think hell would freeze over and pigs fly , if they get a emd
better known two cycle puking oil detroit engine :-D