Railroad Forums 

• 5 gondolas with ties on LAL at Avon - 2/14

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#214542  by railwatcher

On the LAL this morning #421 and #425 came to Avon with 5 gons with ties. They met a cherry picker truck and the LAL MOW articulating loader at the yard and then added 3 covered hoppers to go to the grain storage facilty, while some ties were being unloaded behind Gray Metal Industries just north of the Avon Yard.

Greg
 #214556  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:On the LAL this morning #421 and #425 came to Avon with 5 gons with ties. They met a cherry picker truck and the LAL MOW articulating loader at the yard and then added 3 covered hoppers to go to the grain storage facilty, while some ties were being unloaded behind Gray Metal Industries just north of the Avon Yard.

Greg
Interesting...do you think this is to construct new track or to replace dying ties?

#214678  by railwatcher

I drove by Gray Metal at 3pm and they are still behind there unloading. I assume they may be getting ready to add a siding. Maybe someone can enlighten us.

Greg

#214894  by railwatcher

The gons were parked overnight on the Avon Industrial spur by King Cole Bean Co. I will be checking them out later. Must be more to be dropped off the gons yet, today.

Greg

#220177  by railwatcher

3/2/06 LAL #20 and five more low side gons have entered Avon. What are we building?

Greg

#220830  by nessman

Could just be deliveries of ties for routine maintenance.

#223819  by Otto Vondrak

I assume this is part of a rebuilding and maintenance project, and not new construction. LAL has been on an ambitious tie replacement program for the last 10 years or more, and the work has been paying off.

-otto-

#223957  by railwatcher

Two more cars with ties are sitting in the yard siding near the Avon station. Two others are still sitting at the far northern end of the Avon yard team tracks on the eastern track. So what ever the project it is, a siding or a maintaining project, its gonna be a good one. Also there might be some for the impending addition of the Barilla siding that will have to be added in the future. :-D

Greg
 #228737  by the1jp

I was doing my usual Saturday morning walk and passed by 2 more gons full of ties on the team track in the village of Avon. One gon has been sitting there since Monday or Tuesday, The other appeared Friday3-24.
I agree that these ties are just for normal tie replacement.
I wonder,how many years did the LA&L go without a regular tie replacement program?

#234216  by railwatcher

Noticed that there are 5 or 6 more gondolas with ties sitting in the Avon yard. I was gone for the past 6 days road and they were there when I got back late last night. I believe this makes it about 21 carloads of ties so far, unless I have lost track (an interesting thought to have...."lost track"). I am eager to see the work commence.

Greg

#235388  by railwatcher

4-13-06 LAL #20 moved three more carloads of ties to behind Gray Metal Industries this morning for stacking. Pictures are at railwatcherphotos. The stacks are getting huge!

Greg