Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Central signhting 2/7/06

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#212373  by Matt Langworthy

ONCT SW-9 #718 departed the engine house around Noon today, with teo emtoes- one covered hopper (fropm Victor Insulators) and one lumber car (from Victor Coal & Lumber). The train proceeded east to Manchester, pausing briefly for the crew's lunch around 1:15PM. Interchanged with FGLK (led by B23-7 #2301) at Shortsville shortly after 2PM. Ths was difficult to observe (due yo trees!) but the empties were exchanged for two loaded lumber cars- one with lumber for Ryan Homes in Farmington and the other for a customer in Victor. The westbound ONCT departed Shortsville around 3:15PM and arrived back in Victor shortly after 4:00PM. An nice day's work by Don and Marianne!

NOTE: I have extensive photos of the trip and will probably post them on Luther's LAL website. This includes a few shots of the train passing thru the ex-LV yard at Manchester. Four rolls of film were consumed today! :wink:

#212425  by railwatcher

Matt your are were lucky to catch them out. Hoped you stopped by the race track, it was your surely day!

Greg

#212484  by sallenparks

Any one know wre the RS36 is stored.I remember hearing before the LAL take over she was kept in an on line customers wherehouse is this true if not can someone tell me where she's kept exactly.Thanks!

#212498  by Luther Brefo

sallenparks wrote:Any one know wre the RS36 is stored.I remember hearing before the LAL take over she was kept in an on line customers wherehouse is this true if not can someone tell me where she's kept exactly.Thanks!
It should be in Victor. Correct me if I am wrong...

#212514  by scottychaos

yep,
stored *inside* the Victor Insulator plant..
which makes it VERY hard to photograph, since you have to catch it "out on the road"..which happens a few minutes a year what what I can gather! ;)

I have been looking for it for 10 years..havent found it yet...

Scot

#212825  by sallenparks

THANKS GUYS..............

#213598  by nessman

My favorite picture of 418 that I took back in 2000:

#213624  by TB Diamond

Les: This is in back of the Victor Insulator plant, correct? Used to live right across from the plant on Maple St. back in the 1970s. Familiar territory. Thanks for the memories.

#213749  by nessman

That is correct.

If I remember correctly, going west it was 708, 418 (just picked up from interchange), and two loads for Victor Insulator. There was a few run-around moves in Victor to reverse the order of the power so they could shove the loads onto Victor Insulator's siding, and 418 inside Victor Insulator.
 #213906  by park

The OC RS36 # 418 is truely an tough unit to photograph. She usually only comes out late in the day and even that is a spotty event. I made about a dozen trips to Victor trying to photogrpah her all proving unsuccessful. About two years back I took a chance and called the railroad. I received a recording and hungup. I re thought my strategy and recall and this time left a message. This was about 1pm. I hung around town until about 4pm and was driving back towards Rochester when my cell phone rang. Here was the GM of the OC returning my call saying he pulled the #418 outside and she was heading east.

I did a quick about face and returned to Victor to find #418 sitting in glorious sunshine waiting to be photographed. I wish I could remember the gentleman's name who met me but he couldn't have been any nicer. He was a true railroader and was more than happy to help me try and photograph the #418. She headed east for cars and the chase was on. The one and only downside of the event was that her eastward trip had no cars in tow but then again...

Enjoy the photo.

[/url]

#213922  by nessman

Sounds like Don Brown... very accomodating individual.
 #214023  by TB Diamond

Les:
Thank you for confirming my recall. In October 1980 I caught the OC job Victor-Manchester. The unit used at the time was OC #86. Did this unit go back to OMID when the LA&L took over OC operations? Knew Don Brown and, as you mention, he always treated a person very well.

#214025  by nessman

418 is #86 renumbered into the LAL numbering scheme.
 #214708  by Matt Langworthy

nessman wrote:Sounds like Don Brown... very accomodating individual.
He is the conductor and manager of the Ontario Central. Possibly the nicest guy I ever met in the RR business.

'Twould be nice to photograph the RS-36 but I'll content myself with the EMD switcher for now. SWs are not exactly common locomotives in the Rochester area. The only other SWs nearby are the R&S units.