Railroad Forums 

• LAL #20 w/ "Traveller" in Henrietta -1/24

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#208195  by railwatcher

More pictures are listed at my site below.

Enjoy!

Greg

#208310  by scottychaos

wow! fabulous shots! :P
thanks guys!

Scot

#208325  by dj_paige

Great pictures! Thanks!

I see that LAL 20 is named after CMDR. PETER BARRY. Who was he and why did LAL decide to put his name on a locomotive?

#209741  by stilson4283

I noticed that LAL #20 didn't seam to have ditch lights. I thought that all Loco's need ditchlights.

Chris

#209748  by Luther Brefo

stilson4283 wrote:I noticed that LAL #20 didn't seam to have ditch lights. I thought that all Loco's need ditchlights.

Chris
I've read somewhere that when a leading locomotive is not equipped with ditch lights the only thing it cannot do is cross a public grade crossing at more than 20 miles per hour.

#210290  by Mike Roque

lutherkb wrote:I've read somewhere that when a leading locomotive is not equipped with ditch lights the only thing it cannot do is cross a public grade crossing at more than 20 miles per hour.
That's correct.

#210325  by DutchRailnut

Besides crossings other things are involved , like continous burning ditchlights to protect for roadway workers, basicly a locomotive that travels faster than 20 mph needs ditchlights, not only for crossings but for rest of railroad. the exeption for #20 is probably for this reason :

(h) Any locomotive subject to Part 229, that was built before
December 31, 1948, and that is not used regularly in commuter or
intercity passenger service, shall be considered historic equipment and
excepted from the requirements of paragraphs (d) through (h) of this
section.

It would still leave operator subject to hefty lawsuits incase of accident if they hit a railroad worker.

#210341  by Aji-tater

The Code of Federal Regulations says if the train operates over a poublic highway grade crossing at speeds over 20 MPH, it has to have ditch lights: part 229.125 letter d. It also says if a locomotive has ditch lights, they must be continuously illimunated immediately prior to and during movement of the locomotive : part 229.125 letter f. But it does NOT say that a locomotive without ditch lights is restricted to 20 MPH other than at grade crossings.
Roadway workers are protected by a complex system of regulations and if one is struck there are larger problems than presence or lack of ditch lights. And sadly to say in this day and age the railroad is subject to a hefty lawsuit no matter what happens to anybody, anywhere, for any reason.

And the #20 was built in 1949 so the paragraph about historical locomotives would not apply anyway.

#210403  by Luther Brefo

Aji-tater wrote:The Code of Federal Regulations says if the train operates over a poublic highway grade crossing at speeds over 20 MPH, it has to have ditch lights: part 229.125 letter d. It also says if a locomotive has ditch lights, they must be continuously illimunated immediately prior to and during movement of the locomotive : part 229.125 letter f. But it does NOT say that a locomotive without ditch lights is restricted to 20 MPH other than at grade crossings.
Roadway workers are protected by a complex system of regulations and if one is struck there are larger problems than presence or lack of ditch lights. And sadly to say in this day and age the railroad is subject to a hefty lawsuit no matter what happens to anybody, anywhere, for any reason.

And the #20 was built in 1949 so the paragraph about historical locomotives would not apply anyway.
Agreed, of course individual railroads may choose to extend the law one step further for safety measure.