Railroad Forums 

• Gov Pataki Announces $2 Million for LAL

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#192800  by nessman

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
December 6, 2005
GOVERNOR ANNOUNCES $100 MILLION FOR RAIL MODERNIZATION PROGRAM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19 Railroads to Receive $40 Million in First Two Years of Five-Year Program That Will Assist With Infrastructure and Capacity Improvements to New York’s Rail System

Governor George E. Pataki today announced a five-year, $100 million rail funding program that will help New York railroads make infrastructure and capacity improvements, which will modernize the State’s rail network and keep it competitive. Known as the Rail Freight and Passenger Rail Assistance Program, the funding will provide approximately $20 million for improvements each year through 2010. In the first round of funding announced today, 19 railroads have been awarded $40 million for the 2005 – 2006 fiscal years.

“These critical investments to our rail infrastructure are an essential part of our commitment to making New York’s transportation and rail system the best in the nation,” Governor Pataki said. “Our improvements to freight and passenger rail service will ensure that businesses and commuters have a viable transportation alternative that will reduce heavy-truck traffic and vehicle congestion on our roadways, while improving our environment for future generations.”

Senator Thomas W. Libous, Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee said, “Governor Pataki has again shown his commitment to improving New York’s infrastructure by creating the Rail Modernization Program. Making these needed enhancements to our Rail System is critical to enticing new businesses to come to New York and keeping existing ones here.”

Assembly Transportation Committee Chair David Gantt said, “The Assembly, under the leadership of Speaker Sheldon Silver, reaffirmed its ongoing commitment to meeting the needs of New York's diverse and interdependent transportation network by advocating for, and joining with the Senate and Governor in adopting, a five year capital plan and bond act during the state budget deliberations. We are delighted that the vital rail portion of that plan, which will upgrade and modernize facilities across the state, is now moving forward.”

The Rail Freight and Passenger Rail Assistance Program, administered by the State Department of Transportation (DOT), is financed by a five-year, $17.9 billion capital program. The funds will be used for track and bridge improvements, grade crossing eliminations or upgrades, construction of intermodal facilities, and the provision of passenger service subsidies. Eligible railroads, including shortline and mainline railroads, will be able to apply for the $60 million available in the final three years of the program.

Norman Schneider, executive director of Railroads of New York (RONY) said, “Railroads of New York, which represents freight railroads throughout New York State, is pleased at the efforts of Governor Pataki and Commissioner Madison to provide this important rail funding. These funds will enable 19 of our members to make needed infrastructure improvements that will help move freight in an economically and environmentally efficient manner.”

In addition to these funds, the Renew and Rebuild New York Transportation Bond Act, approved by New Yorkers on November 8th, provides $135 million for railroads and port facility improvements over the same five-year period, for a combined investment of $235 million.

The Rail Freight and Passenger Rail Assistance program will immediately help finance five projects affecting mainline railroads. These include:

$8.6 million to subsidize Amtrak’s Adirondack passenger service between the City of Rensselaer, Rensselaer County, and Montreal, Quebec;
$5.2 million to upgrade the signal system on the Metro North Commuter Railroad line between the City of Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, and New York City;
$4 million to expand freight capacity on the CSX Transportation River Line between the Hamlet of Selkirk, Albany County, and the Port of New York and New Jersey terminals in Staten Island and northern New Jersey;
$3.5 million for the Norfolk-Southern Railroad to fund preliminary engineering work for replacement of the Portage Bridge over Letchworth State Park on its Southern Tier mainline in Livingston County; and
$2.5 million to expand freight capacity on the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline between the City of Albany, Albany County, and Montreal, Quebec.

Shortline railroads receiving immediate assistance include:

$1.5 million for track and bridge rehabilitation on the Mohawk, Adirondack and Northern Railroad in Oneida and Lewis counties;
$1.5 million for track rehabilitation on the New York and Ogdensburg Railroad in St. Lawrence County;
$1.5 million for track rehabilitation on the Rochester Southern Railroad in Wyoming and Monroe counties;
$1.4 million for track rehabilitation on the Finger Lakes Railroad in Cayuga and Seneca counties;
$1.25 million for track and bridge rehabilitation on the Owego and Harford Railroad in Tioga County;
$1.2 million for track rehabilitation on the Arcade and Attica Railroad in Wyoming County;
$1.2 million for construction of a rail/truck transfer facility for the Depew, Lancaster and Western Railroad in Genesee County;
$1.2 million for track rehabilitation on the Falls Road Railroad in Niagara and Orleans counties;
$1 million for track rehabilitation on the Battenkill Railroad in Washington County;
$1 million for track rehabilitation on the B&H Railroad in Steuben County;
$1 million for track rehabilitation on the Livonia, Avon and Lakeville Railroad in Monroe and Livingston counties;

$900,000 for track rehabilitation on the New York and Lake Erie Railroad in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties;
$750,000 for track rehabilitation on the Middletown and New Jersey Railroad in Orange County;
$500,000 for an additional track in the Harlem River Yard intermodal facility in the Bronx; and
$300,000 for grade crossing rehabilitation on the Buffalo Southern Railroad in Erie County.

New York has led the nation in railroad investment, providing approximately $248.7 million for rail capital projects since 1995. Investments have been focused on increasing rail access to New York City and Long Island, as well as expanding the capacity of New York’s upstate railroads to ensure that future freight increases can be absorbed by the rail industry, helping to reduce commercial vehicle traffic on state roadways.

Department of Transportation Commissioner Thomas J. Madison, Jr. said, “Thanks to the efforts of Governor Pataki, New York State has the resources necessary to improve and expand upon our existing rail infrastructure, ensuring that it remains a viable transportation alternative for both businesses and travelers.”
 #192892  by railwatcher

Ok, with $1,000,000. (I like all those zeros!) for each, what improvements will we see on the LAL and B&H? There was already monies allocated for welded rail on the LAL from previous grants from Transportation bonds and etc.. So what, will be added. More yards, sidings, refurbushing sidings and spurs? Someone let us know, please.
 #192992  by Luther Brefo

railwatcher wrote:Ok, with $1,000,000. (I like all those zeros!) for each, what improvements will we see on the LAL and B&H? There was already monies allocated for welded rail on the LAL from previous grants from Transportation bonds and etc.. So what, will be added. More yards, sidings, refurbushing sidings and spurs? Someone let us know, please.
I'd like to take a guess and say that they will switch all of the Livonia Avon & Lakeville to welded higher speed rail. I don't think that $1m will do it all but it will certainly help. As for the B&H, it may go to repairing some of the engines currently at the Lakeville Facility, with whatever extras going to rail upgrade.
 #194617  by railwatcher

What others are saying- Hornell Evening Tribune---> NY offers $3.5M to kick off Portage Bridge replacement: B&H, LA&L railroads also receiving funding from rail modernization program

By ROB MONTANA - STAFF WRITER
Norfolk Southern Railroad is getting a hand from New York state to replace a Livingston County bridge.

The railroad is set to receive $3.5 million to fund preliminary engineering work for replacement of the Portage Bridge over the Genesee River at Letchworth State Park on its Southern Tier mainline in Livingston County.

“That money, if in fact we ever get it, will be for some bridge and structure work on the line in the Southern Tier,” said Rudy Husband, Norfolk Southern spokesperson. “I can't be more specific than that, because it's money; I believe, some work still needs to be done for it to be appropriated.”

Gov. George Pataki announced the disbursement of $40 million to 19 railroads for improvements to be made to the state's rail network Tuesday. The funding is part of a five-year, $100 million Rail Freight and Passenger Rail Assistance Program.

“These critical investments to our rail infrastructure are an essential part of our commitment to making New York's transportation and rail system the best in the nation,” Pataki said in a prepared statement. “Our improvements to freight and passenger rail service will ensure that businesses and commuters have a viable transportation alternative that will reduce heavy-truck traffic and vehicle congestion on our roadways, while improving our environment for future generations.”

In addition to the five mainline railroads receiving funding, shortline also are getting money from the state. Two local railroads - B&H in Cohocton, and Livonia, Avon and Lakeville in Lakeville - are each receiving $1 million. B&H will use its funds for track rehabilitation in Steuben County, while LA&L will do track rehabilitation in Livingston and Monroe counties.

William Burt, president and CEO of LA&L Railroad, said railroad officials worked with the state Department of Transportation and Sen. George Winner, R-Elmira, to secure some funding from the program. He said the LA&L work will be primarily between Lakeville and Rochester, while the B&H repairs will occur between Painted Post and Bath.

“A big part of the state's strategy is to bring shortline railroads to repair,” Burt said. “Part of the problem is in the past a lot of lines were owned by Conrail and were allowed to run down under Conrail. They call it ‘deferred maintenance,' where a line will be made available to a shortline to operate just before it gets to the point it cannot be operated anymore.

“It's certainly evident between Avon and Rochester, and between Bath and Painted Post, those lines had had very little maintenance,” he added. “There's a catch-up process because the Southern Tier was hard hit by Conrail's de-emphasis of rail in this area. That's why this program is important, because if you continue to let it run down, you'll get to the point where you'll have to start all over.”

LA&L, started in 1964, has grown from a 13-mile short line to a 282-mile system operating throughout western New York and northwestern Pennsylvania, and it operates in Livingston and Monroe counties.

B&H connects with Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier Route and Canadian Pacific via Norfolk-Southern haulage. It has public use sidetracks at Bath, Cohocton and Wayland. B&H has mainlines between Painted Post and Cohocton, and Cohocton and Wayland.

#195063  by Otto Vondrak

I highly doubt that the LAL would squander grant money on locomotive paint. Paint doesn't pull freight cars- which is why new paint is usually the last thing you see when these engines are rebuilt. This money is destined for infrastructure. But how much does $2 million buy?

-otto-

#195160  by nessman

State grant money MUST be used for the purpose in which it was intended. This also means every dime of the grant must be accounted for along with supporting documentation. If the State Comptroller's Office comes in for an audit - you best be prepared to vouch for how the grant was expended.

#195337  by railwatcher

And a state audit makes the IRS seem like kindergarten.

Greg

#195440  by RS-3

Well *if* they could use the grant money for paint I'm sure that would be fine with the folks at the LA&A. However I suspect that's not what its for. However I have doubts the LA&L would considering it "squandering" if they did given that they don't mind "squandering" their own money on paint. In fact, C-430 430 was "squandered" only within the past few weeks and looks absolutely squandelicious. Clearly image *is* important to the LA&L folks.

RS
 #195477  by pablo

Image is important to any company, especially one that is as accomplished and award-winning as the LAL family. However, as Otto mentioned, having units that run and run well is a bigger source of pride than simply that they look pretty. Suggesting that because the 430 got repainted recently, that image is important per se misses the above point. It's also oversimplification, because the 431 and 432 aren't repainted yet, and have been in service for some time earning revenue. Likewise the 426.

Perhaps the public might like everything to be painted uniformly, and sure, it would look nice to see everything all the same color some times. Maybe. My opinion (and no one has ever told me this) is that once it runs right, and there's time to do it, painting the units will happen. For now, enjoy the collection of color. Once they're all repainted, someone will likely complain, "Remember when the WNYP had all of those different color locomotives..."

Dave Becker

#195514  by railwatcher

The company paint job is not as necessary if the company equipment are labeled well, are not rusted looking, and do not represent a shabby enterprise.
If you look at all the current units in service, 426, 431,432, 630, and 631 (MNRR 73) they all represent themselves well. Before this 430 unit has left the shop they gave it the colors, one I am sure of, is to cover the "Susquehanna" written boldly on the sides, and to eliminate the NYSW imagery of the unit. A clean operation can not be downgraded by non consistant paint, if so then obviously all those Conrail Blue engines we see on the mainlines is derogatory to those railroads. I thought it was all about getting the job done well, and customer service? Don't worry about the color, be glad its got a job to do, and that it is doing it well.

This is my opinion.

Greg

#195527  by RS-3

'Image is important to any company, especially one that is as accomplished and award-winning as the LAL family. However, as Otto mentioned, having units that run and run well is a bigger source of pride than simply that they look pretty. Suggesting that because the 430 got repainted recently, that image is important per se misses the above point. It's also oversimplification, because the 431 and 432 aren't repainted yet, and have been in service for some time earning revenue. Likewise the 426.

Perhaps the public might like everything to be painted uniformly, and sure, it would look nice to see everything all the same color some times. Maybe. My opinion (and no one has ever told me this) is that once it runs right, and there's time to do it, painting the units will happen. For now, enjoy the collection of color. Once they're all repainted, someone will likely complain, "Remember when the WNYP had all of those different color locomotives..."

The 431 and 432 and others have not been painted because they didn't have the time to paint them and they were not in need of painting. But I'm willing to bet money will be "squandered" to paint then when time permits. And not just because the "public" wants it, but because the company wants it. Its called pride. You yourself say they will be repainted in time. So is that squandering money when they do? You accuse me of oversimplification but I said the same thing. As for the 426, I'd point out it has been touched up quite nicely, with all the gray repainted on the cab and nose. Did that make it run better you think? Will the 430 run better because it was repainted? As I understood Otto's post, it inferred paint is "money squandered". Was I wrong? I simply disagree. The 430 is simply Exibit A. (FWIW "running well" was never the issue. The issue is paint.)

I'd agree with Railwatcher, its image. Shabby vs neat. I never said everything must be painted. I just said its not a waste of money when they do. I note every locomotive LA&L runs is neat, no matter the paint.

RS
 #195537  by pablo

I would imagine that Otto meant "Squandered" in regards to the scarcity of state funding in regards to railroads. The state money is precious and hard to come by, so to take that money and use it for largely cosmetic purposes would, indeed, be squandering the money. I would imagine the state would frown upon the use of this money for cosmetic purposes when other purposes exist. If those other uses for the money DIDN'T exist, I doubt the money for the LAL would, either.

(and I apologize for putting words in Otto's mouth.)

The 431 and 432 were correctly not painted because time didn't permit. It is incorrect to suggest that they don't need painting. They are not wearing the scheme of the family of railroads, and thus they do need painting, but again, operations take precedent.

While the 426 is touched up nicely, too, I would expect that time permitting, it, too, will be painted as everything else is with the LAL. I also don't think that they are necessarily shabby, especially in light of the correct mention of the various lease units that wander over the WNYP regularly. My favorite was the ex-BN SD-40 (maybe a dash-2) that looked as if it had survived the bombing of Saddam's bunker and beeen pressed right back into service. The WNYP's locos aren't shabby, just inconsistent. Best proof of that is the 630, whihc is painted as an A&M unit but lettered for the WNYP. Absolutely inconsistent, but hardly shabby.

Dave Becker

#195620  by Luther Brefo

Please don't take this too harshly but honestly, it does not matter one way or the other. The LA&L will do what they see as right and that will be the end of it. And what they do will be right. THey know what they are doing so what needs to be said has been. Lets make that the end of it. :)

Let it be as such and lets all return to what is important and that is:

New York State will become or rather maintain its status as the nations leader in how to do rail service correctly. And this is how it gets done.

#195664  by Aji-tater

"New York State will become or rather maintain its status as the nations leader in how to do rail service correctly"

To avoid legal problems, I suggest you only smoke that stuff far out in the woods or somewhere nobody will catch you.

#195696  by Luther Brefo

Aji-tater wrote:"New York State will become or rather maintain its status as the nations leader in how to do rail service correctly"

To avoid legal problems, I suggest you only smoke that stuff far out in the woods or somewhere nobody will catch you.
What are you talking about?