Railroad Forums 

• Books on the LA&L

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#183596  by NS3737

Is there any book (preferingly currently available new) that deals with the history of the LA&L?

If not who agrees that it is about time that this railway (and its affiliates) gets a dedicated book?

Greetings from across the Atlantic

Gijs

#183619  by scottychaos

nope, no book has yet been written on the LAL..
I agree, its time one was! :P

Scot

#185440  by nydepot

William Gordon's book on the Erie's Rochester Branch covers the early history of the LA&L from the selling of the line to the LA&L to its early operation. Several photos too including the GE 44 ton they had. Railfan & Railroad did a story on it and that contains a good history of the line. These two things are about as good as it gets.

Charles
 #185658  by Matt Langworthy

According to the Railfan article, it looks like LAL was the final RR in New York state to operate steam in freight service! It is impressive to see that pic of #38 parked near an EL Geep in Avon!

I've often wanted to write a book on the LAL family of shortlines since it took over operations on the B&H, but I don't have enough pics, or time...

#186725  by NS3737

If there was not that big pond they named the Atlantic Ocean, I would pick up the chalenge myself. But the reqiured amount of research and hence flyning back and forth it would be a costly operation. But I will hapily voluteer for the task of proof reading and I have even some pictures too.

Gijs
 #187007  by Matt Langworthy

Stay in touch- this might be a good idea for the future...

#189149  by PVRX1

I am working on a book that covers all the railroads in a multi state area with current information and some historical review. It may be done by early next year. May split it into two or three books, as it covers commuter, freight, shortline, etc. and is getting kinda large.
 #190323  by NS3737

Matt Langworthy wrote:Stay in touch- this might be a good idea for the future...
I will keep listening, as to proof reading I have some expirience at that.

Gijs