Railroad Forums 

• LAL Thursday line action - 8/25

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#160616  by railwatcher

#421 and #424 lead the train North to Genesee Juction Today with an uncounted load, due to obsured vision. The return lead by #424 returned thru Avon with a load of tankers and a covered hopper. Foliage of trees between my residence and the main line are making it hard to see and count the size of the trains. Fall will be here too soon, unfortunately, but at least will make railfanning easier.

Greg
 #162858  by ourrighttoknow

The foliage is on purpose. New LAL corporate security policy: let vegetation grow without spraying. Benefits are threefold: 1) Eliminate costs of spraying, 2) Satisfies tree-huggers, and 3) Promotes Secret Operations so residents cannot view types of cargo being handled.

Mike

#162879  by BR&P

LOL!!

You forgot an important part - the trees give off oxygen, which is taken in by the locomotives as they go by. More oxygen = better fuel combustion, more efficient operation, and less polution!

Seriously, it sounds like the trees Greg speaks of are off LA&L property.
 #162887  by railwatcher

Yes, Br&P you hit that right, like you were lookingout my back window. Between the Kraft spur at the back of my yard and the mainline to Lakevile, is more than 300 yards of hay, scrub brush, and trees. The good folks at LAL recently sprayed the Kraft ROW for it's vegatation, (thanks, Vince!) Looking forward to fall when I can view the main again other than a brief roofline shot that I am afforded now. I asked the better half for a chainsaw for Christmas!

Thanks for the laugh, guys!
Keep posting!

Greg
 #162937  by Matt Langworthy

Maybe you could build something like a platform for your fellow railfans? Just kidding! :wink:

#162951  by railwatcher

If I cut down all of the trees the view will be back and I can build a log train station in the back yard. LMAO!

Greg
 #167105  by railwatcher

North today with a small load, Engines #421, 424 and 430 on the northbound. #430 should be on lead on the return.