Railroad Forums 

• LAL Freight/MOW car photos.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#153685  by scottychaos

Anyone know if this hopper is still around?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-l/lal4401agd.jpg

the photo is from 1994.
at Lakeville.
says its ex-PRR.

I assume it was used in ballast/MOW service.
I have never seen it Lakeville.
thanks,
Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

#153868  by Smtimko

Believe that I last saw that car in Avon while on the Ohio Valley Railcar motor car trip on July 3rd.

SMT

#154175  by the1jp

Scot
The next time you go through Avon on your way to anywhere; stop by the La&L main on Route 5 and 20 and look south. That hopper, and more MoW equipment, is sitting in a little pocket track a few hundred yards up the way. It has been there a long time and the rust has taken a toll on it.
:(
Jeff

#154185  by scottychaos

the1jp wrote:Scot
The next time you go through Avon on your way to anywhere; stop by the La&L main on Route 5 and 20 and look south. That hopper, and more MoW equipment, is sitting in a little pocket track a few hundred yards up the way. It has been there a long time and the rust has taken a toll on it.
:(
Jeff
thanks Jeff!
I will check it out..
I actually have an Aristocraft hopper (1/29 scale) that I was considering selling, because I didnt care for the road name, but now maybe I will keep it and model the LAL car! :P
its a pretty good match, same basic style, just a few minor details are different. I could fix those.

http://www.aristocraft.com/catalog/roll ... 19rbmn.jpg

Scot

#155135  by scottychaos

I went and found the cars!
in addition to the Coal hopper.
there was also a LAL flat car,
and a WNYP and a LAL covered hopper.
plus 2 other cars not lettered for the LAL..
pics! :P

http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/sh ... 500&page=1

click "next" to go to the next photo..
there are 8 photos of the MOW cars.
Scot
 #155307  by Matt Langworthy

The flat cars serve an additional purpose besides MOW- LAL and B&H use them as spacer cars to separate the engines and crews from the potential dangers of flammable or hazardous cargo.

Of course, LAL has never had to deal with a fire or hazmat spill as they an industry leader in safety. In fact, I've just read elsewhere than LAL's VP Bill Burt has been named to an FRA safety panel. Now he can show the other RRs how it's done right.

#155428  by the1jp

I've often wondered what those two odd black cars were for. They have been sitting there empty for a long time. (Like the other MOW cars.)
Thanks for the info!!

#156006  by the1jp

Who, besides me, remebers seeing the two (now painted gray) hoppers in the ZEROX commmercials?

#156358  by scottychaos

joshuahouse wrote:Is this the ad with the blue dog on the side of a car?
I dont think the blue dog was on the side of a car,
it was on the side of a barn!
(although it might have been on a car too..im not sure.)
The Blue Dog is still on the barn!
down route 15..(or is it 15A?)
you see him clearly driving south, you might miss him driving north.
I have pictures..somewhere..from 3 or 4 years ago.
I just came across him accidently while driving south!
I will look for them!

Scot
 #157336  by Matt Langworthy

Railpace had a few photos showing the making of the ad. i think I have the ad itself on VHS somewhere...

#163034  by the1jp

Just wanted to warn everyone who are interested in those MOW cars.
The 2 gons that are used to separate the engines from special loads have been moved. As of 5:30 this PM (09/01) they were tacked onto the front of a batch of empties sitting on the siding that leads down to Kraft foods. Maybe they are going some where?
 #163847  by railwatcher

jp the two gons that you saw are marked GNRR. They have been there since thursday afternoon, since there wasn't a friday move. Those being GNRR cars did they come from the MOW units that were parked on the siding just to the right of the main? Or did they show up from somewehre else?

#164355  by the1jp

Greg et al
Those two cars [u]were [/u]from the siding.
They, and some of theother MOW cars, have been moved around the yards in Avon but they have stayed on a siding for around a year.