Railroad Forums 

• NB with the Sun, 420 & 424 are camera ready - 4/22

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#119554  by Mike Stellpflug

They had 32 cars! The kids and I chased him from Lakeville
to Avon. The engines were really smoking when they climbed the
grade out of Lakeville.

Mike S.
 #119693  by Matt Langworthy

What a day! I called OMID (a RR that is rarely photgraphed or discussed) but the weren't running 'cause they'd only gotten 1 car from CSX last night, so they decided to do track work instead. :( Very nice folks to talk to so I'll give OMI another shot someday.

Then I called R&S- the crew man was coming off duty, so he said to come down and ask for a manager. More on that later...

Finally, I got smart and called LAL. Nice lady, just like OMID, told me that the train was about to leave Lakeville (8:11AM) so I should have time to see it. Well, that would be true if hadn't been tied up on the phone trying to line up job interviews- darn work always gets in the way of 'fanning!

So I got down to Henrietta at 10:19AM. According to the nice folks at Dailey's Trailer Rental, LAL had already gone thru. I jumped in my car and raced over to Genesee Jct. THe train had already departed for Brooks Ave yard so I took a few quick pics of the 6 cars left by CSX and headed for R&S.

When I got there, I asked an R&S employee for permissiion to take some pix but he said "not today". Oh well, I guess he had more pressing matters than me. No problem. He did tell me that LAL had just left so I went back to Genesee Jct, getting there just as LAL returned. I took a few more shots and went over to East River Road.

I had to wait a few minutes but that didn't matter. It gave me time to line up my camera shot so I could use the bridge over the Genesee River (between Scottville Rd and East River Rd) as a photo prop. The train finally departed the yard around noon with 18 cars in total. Notice that LAL got more cars in interchange from R&S than CSX. Anyway, I got my shots and headed to the Bailey Rd crossing south of RIT.

After 30 minutes passed, I wondered if the train had stopped. Then playing a hunnch, I got on Lehigh Station Rd to visit Matthews & Field Lumber. Sure enough, I got there just in time to see the Alcos headed north on the Mortimer Industrial track. They'd left the lead car of the train on the spur- not a surprise since it was an Oregon and Northwestern boxcar.

I headed back to Bailey Rd. Along the way, I stopped to play the Mega Millions. A news crew from 13WHAM TV was there and the camreman asked me what I'd do with the $205 million ajackpot- I replied: "I'd act like its Monopoly and buy a railroad. Not a one of the big ones, just a short one."

By the time I got back to Bailey Road, the crossing gates were lowering so I decided to turn off and head for the Lehigh Station Road crossing. I got there at 1:20PM in plenty of time to photograph the train. At this point #s 424 and 420 were hauling 17 cars- all tankers and covered hoppers. I finished off my film and that's was then end of my 'fanning for the day.
These pics will be posted some day, when I get a scanner.

The next time I have "employment issues", I gotta remember to get out of the house and go watch a train!
 #119700  by railwatcher

Matt, today was a great day for fanning the LAL. We must have crossed paths and didn't know it. I did visit with another fan, at Lehigh Station by Matthews luber, which I posted the picture on another site and called it Wickes Lumber, oops. Wrong Town.

I caught the train heading towards the Lumber company at the wye behind Southtown plaza. The remaining constist of the train stayed there while the Engines and boxcar rolled to Matthews siding.

The Blue Blazer then got back to Avon, NY to cop a few more shots as the train headed south to Lakeville.

#119704  by scottychaos

Sounds like a cool day of LAL fanning!

Matt,
if you take your film to a place that offers Kodak picture CDs, you can get your prints processed normally, PLUS get a CD with digital scans of all your pictures!
best of both worlds (film & digital)
then you could post some pics!
just an idea..
Scot

#119968  by dj_paige

Matt, following up on Scot's suggestion, if you don't have the ability to put photos on the web, I would be happy to host the photos on my website, giving you full credit, of course. (For example, see here).

#120341  by charlie6017

Matt,
Don't expect much luck with R&S. They are not a railfan friendly operation like OMID, LAL, WNYP, etc.

#120432  by nessman

Matt... get a radio scanner - will help greatly with the "chase".

Was at Dailey Trailer several days ago (to buy a trailer). Nice people.

R&S is a busy place these days - traditionally not a railfan friendly railroad. Best to leave them aloneand shoot from public property where you can.

#120717  by Matt Langworthy

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm mulling my options- I might work with Paige or have my friend Mike help me. (He's a Chessie fan!) Nothing right away, as I might be quitting my day job soon so cash will obviously be a serious issue.

I hadn't attempted to 'fan R&S in quite some time so I really didn't know what to expect. The employees had been friendlier to me a decade ago but times change, and they are busier. Plus, they all had safety glasses on so I think some serious rail maintenance was afoot. I really don't bear R&S any ill will. As I've said in other threads, it is private property- so it's their choice to allow any visitors on the premises.

Friday was definitely the breath of fresh that I needed. There's nothing like 'fanning to clear my head! :P

I'm still planning an OMID chase for sometime this spring or summer.