Railroad Forums 

• Western power on NS Coal train on WNYP in Olean yard

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#110988  by Allegheny

I saw NS's loaded coal train parked in the Olean yard last Sunday with a UP GE on the point, a BNSF in the middle, and another UP trailing. The train was pointing east, of course. Must have been sitting out for the weekend. Of all the talk of NS coal trains on the old Erie, this is the first one I've actually seen for myself, and of course I didn't have my camera. Kind of like sighting Bigfoot! I wonder, since before WNYP started up and NS started running through coal trains, when the last time western pool power was seen on this line?

#111130  by charlie6017

Actually, I think it may be common. I saw a west-bound empty hopper train earlier in March (maybe late February) at Hornell. It had a UP widecab leading, and it came off the Southern Tier and took the turn-out onto the WNYP.
 #111213  by Aa3rt

Allegheny wrote:I wonder, since before WNYP started up and NS started running through coal trains, when the last time western pool power was seen on this line?
Allegheny, I really can't answer that but do remember seeing (and have a few photos) of Burlington Northern power around Jamestown, NY in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I missed a lot of the end of the EL/early Conrail transition as Uncle Sam was in need of my services. By the time I was discharged in mid-1978 the EL was pretty much dormant, with an "as needed" local serving Jamestown out of Olean.