Railroad Forums 

• NWS Charleston

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#928597  by ChrisU

Does this base still have rail operations? If so what is the current motive power? Does anybody have any pictures of trains at this base?
 #931620  by RailVet

I'll have to check my latest roster, but I believe the base is limited to GE 80-ton centercabs. There was an Alco S1 on the roster, probably the last one in the entire DOD inventory, but it may be gone by now. I should know for certain later this year when I visit the base. Check this website for a roster of DOD base locomotives:

http://military.railfan.net/roster/

Note: The webmaster is currently updating the page, as some of it is clearly outdated. For example, the tracks to the naval base at Indian Head, MD, were torn up several years ago, and the Army Reserve's 1205th TROB was inactivated in Sep 06. Its two GP10s went to the Tennessee Valley Authority. Generally speaking, though, it's a good source of roster information.
 #998247  by RailVet

I visited this base for the first time in 8 years in September and saw USN 65-00132, which appears to be a former Baldwin VO1000 rebuilt with EMD under the hood. There was also a GE centercab, probably o/s, sitting where the enginehouse once stood. Unfortunately most of the tracks are inside the restricted area and most of the locomotives are there as well, so actually seeing one of them, much less getting a picture, will be very hard to do.
 #1052809  by ChrisU

RailVet wrote:I visited this base for the first time in 8 years in September and saw USN 65-00132, which appears to be a former Baldwin VO1000 rebuilt with EMD under the hood. There was also a GE centercab, probably o/s, sitting where the enginehouse once stood. Unfortunately most of the tracks are inside the restricted area and most of the locomotives are there as well, so actually seeing one of them, much less getting a picture, will be very hard to do.
Thanks for the update,sorry about the very,very late reply: I found a picture of 65-00132 in Waycross,GA on 8/19/11 and 8/20/11 http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2691876 however if you look at NWS Charelston engine house from google earth the imagery date is 1/1/12 and the 65-00132 appears to be sitting there along with an 80T.
 #1053319  by RailVet

I think I lucked out when I encountered 65-00132 at NWS Charleston that day, as it had probably just returned from Waycross. On the day of my visit it was being worked on. The panels on one side of the locomotive were open and someone had left a large, well-equipped and surely expensive tool box next to his work (he may have gone to lunch), apparently trusting that no one would steal his tools in his absence. As far as I could tell, no one did.
 #1053324  by ChrisU

Cool! Whats the current status' on NWS Concord and Kitsap,joint base in Bangor,WA for rail operations if anyone knows?
 #1053367  by RailVet

The Navy pulled out of NWS Concord over a decade ago and the northern third went to the Army as its Military Ocean Terminal Concord (MOTCO), which has had it in caretaker status under the oversight of the 834th Transportation Battalion. See:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ransbn.htm

Most of the old Navy locomotives were retired, although a couple were repainted and renumbered for the US Army. These were joined by several GP10s.

I haven't been out there in a dozen years so I can't say for certain what's going on now. I did hear from a retired Army employee involved in transportation matters that the Army now regrets having taken on MOTCO because the costs far exceeded estimates.

I've never been to the state of WA so I must leave personal observations of Naval Station Kitsap to others in this forum.
 #1053419  by ChrisU

RailVet wrote:The Navy pulled out of NWS Concord over a decade ago and the northern third went to the Army as its Military Ocean Terminal Concord (MOTCO), which has had it in caretaker status under the oversight of the 834th Transportation Battalion. See:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... ransbn.htm

Most of the old Navy locomotives were retired, although a couple were repainted and renumbered for the US Army. These were joined by several GP10s.

I haven't been out there in a dozen years so I can't say for certain what's going on now. I did hear from a retired Army employee involved in transportation matters that the Army now regrets having taken on MOTCO because the costs far exceeded estimates.

I've never been to the state of WA so I must leave personal observations of Naval Station Kitsap to others in this forum.
Thanks for the info!
 #1058988  by Ron S.

There should be a re-powered Alco S1 there as well (Charleston)...#65-00626. I last saw it in 2009, but it was in service at that time and appeared to be well maintained.
RailVet wrote:I visited this base for the first time in 8 years in September and saw USN 65-00132, which appears to be a former Baldwin VO1000 rebuilt with EMD under the hood. There was also a GE centercab, probably o/s, sitting where the enginehouse once stood. Unfortunately most of the tracks are inside the restricted area and most of the locomotives are there as well, so actually seeing one of them, much less getting a picture, will be very hard to do.
 #1059323  by RailVet

I saw that Alco about 20 years or so ago when locomotives were still being parked by the now-gone enginehouse. If it's staying inside the restricted area these days, viewing it will be next to impossible.
 #1076050  by ChrisU

That's ashame it would be a cool locomotive to see.
 #1084949  by ChrisU

How often do these trains run the mainline if there is one and if it's still used?
 #1139592  by ChrisU

Is they're any updates on the base's railroad?