Railroad Forums 

• Civil War Railroads 1861-1865

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1209348  by Desertdweller

In Jackson, MS, the capitol building that was in use during the Civil War period still stands and is kept preserved as a museum. It stands not far from the current capitol building.

This building sits atop a hill. The grounds surrounding it are kept as a park.

On the back (east) side of the building, and down the hill a short distance, stands an abandoned railroad station. There are no tracks there, but the old roadbed can be seen next to the station.

During the Siege of Vicksburg, local troops were rallied there and boarded trains to take them to the relief of Vicksburg. They didn't make it and were stopped by Federal forces at the Battle of Champion's Hill. It is easy to imagine what the scene there on Capital Hill must have looked like, as the area is left as a grassy park.

There are many old buildings of that period and the postwar period left in the South. But that is a topic for another thread.

Les
 #1209444  by scottychaos

Has anyone ever seen a Civil War era photograph that shows cannons loaded on flatcars?
Im sure it must have happened, but I have never seen a photo..

I know most of the time cannon were moved with the armys hauled by horses,
but they must have moved by rail at some point..
for modeling purposes, I would like to see what they looked like loaded for shipment by rail.

Scot
 #1209544  by tj48

I have read a lot about the Civil War and you know I can say I've never seen or read anything about artillery being transported by rail. The only pictures of railroad artillery I've ever seen are these......
railroad siege cannon:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Siege ... rg1864.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
railroad siege mortar:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:13inM ... rsburg.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1209651  by GCarp

Wouldn't the siege cannon just kinda blow up the railbed further down the line? Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot?
 #1209723  by scottychaos

GCarp wrote:Wouldn't the siege cannon just kinda blow up the railbed further down the line? Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot?
No, because they aimed them by moving the cannon on a curved piece of track, custom built for the purpose.
depending on where the cannon is on the arc of the curve, would determine which direction it is aimed..
but it would never be aimed straight down the track.

Scot