Railroad Forums 

• Blacklands Railroad

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#629228  by #7470

Hi. I was hoping someone here knows of the Blacklands Railroad in Sulphur Springs, Texas. I am inquiring of the #108 Baldwin 2-6-2 “Prairie” locomotive that once resided on North Conway New Hampshire at the Conway Scenic Railroad. I know it was moved to the Blacklands back in 98 or 99. I was wondering if anyone knows the current status of the locomotive. I know it was supposed to be restored but was disassembled and from what I heard further funding of the project was ceased. Can anyone help me out?
 #661445  by Reader#108

I have some info for you........I sent an e-mail to Blacklands Railroad. The president of the company informed me that Baldwin 2-6-2 #108 is in pieces waiting to be restored by the Robbins Rail Museum in AL. The Blacklands does not own the engine anymore, and it is still in Sulpher Springs awaiting this process. I personally think that it is a shame that a locomotive that was intact for the most part when purchased, is being left to sit awaiting a restoration 15 years in the waiting. I just purchased a postcard of #108 from Sulpher Springs, and the date is Dec 1999, just after purchase. It has a fence around it, the smoke stack is missing, the red identifier on the front is missing, and it looks like someone was trying to work on it.
 #661576  by #7470

Yeah it is sad that it is in peices now and was once oporating on the Conway Scenic not too long ago. But I am glad to see that it will at least be restored. :-D Its great to know that this piece of history is being preserved and not thrown away. Thanks for the great information.

As far as the 108 went for the Conway Scenic, I know that there were a lot of problems with her. Some of these such as something about stay bolts breaking a lot. And also the 108 was not powerful enough for the railroad. And I know the 3 1/2 grade coming into the Station at North Conway was often a problem for the 108. It was replaced and put into storage. Its unfortunate that it wasnt stored in the roundhouse or covered up but like i said before at least it will be restored.
 #1473127  by Jeff Smith

https://www.progressiverailroading.com/ ... ort--54684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Blacklands Railroad subsidiary has opened a transloading and storage terminal at the Northern Nevada Railport and Logistics Center in Fernley, Nevada, the Northern Nevada Development Authority (NNDA) announced yesterday.

The subsidiary, Black Gold Rail Terminals: Northern Nevada, will help the short line meet its intermodal, logistics and distribution needs in a cost-effective manner, according to an NNDA press release.

Currently, Sulphur Springs, Texas-based Blacklands Railroad is investing $1 million for additional track and a locomotive, NNDA officials said. It is the first short line to establish a transloading and storage terminal in northern Nevada.