Railroad Forums 

• Fort Eustis Trackage

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1512856  by BAR

Ft. Eustis permitted a trackcar excursion on September 13. 2014. We put on at the engine house, rode all of the remaining track in the morning, stopped for lunch in the club at the golf course, and then ran the tracks again in the opposite direction in the afternoon. Also had a guided tour of the dock area and looked at the maritime equipment. There were about fifteen speeders on the excursion and one hand pumper which didn't get very far given the effort required to propel it. I took a shot at pumping for a few minutes and after which I was happy to get back my friend's motorized car.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA
 #1514653  by Statkowski

When I first went to school there they were still running S-160 2-8-0s and the tracks to the base laundry were still being used.

Of course, that was a few years ago.
 #1514942  by RailVet

As far as I know, aviation maintenance training still takes place there, but that's something that could be transferred elsewhere.
 #1515256  by riffian

Off topic again....The Marad James River Reserve Fleet is supported from Fort Eustis, as well. They are down to seven ships, three awaiting scrapping, two being cannibalized for active ships and two for training purposes. All C4 break bulk vessels built in 1962/63. Along with the Pacific Reserve Fleet, it won't be long until they are scrapped out of existence.
 #1525338  by BAR

If I recall correctly when we ran the trackcar trip at Fort Eustis we crossed a short bridge that was made out of plastic from recycled materials. If my recollection is correct does anyone have any information on this bridge? Thanks.

BAR
 #1532901  by BAR

No replies to my inquiry so I will raise it one more time and then forget about it. Any info on the plastic bridge at Fort Eustis would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

BAR
 #1533029  by Sir Ray

Well, you probably saw this already, Railroad Bridge of Recycled Plastic Installed at Fort Eustis, Virginia.
On May 10, Axion International Holdings, Inc. announced the completion of the first of two railroad bridges constructed from recycled plastic at Fort Eustis, Virginia. The bridges, which were designed by Parsons Brinckerhoff, employ Axion's patented Recycled Structural Composite ("RSC"), a thermoplastic solution consisting of nearly 100% recycled post-consumer and industrial plastic

The new short-span bridges extend approximately 40 and 80 feet, respectively. Both bridges are designed to deliver a high-load rating of 130 tons (i.e. 260,000 pounds).
I found another site which stated the bridges were installed in 2010, so that matches with your rail speeder outing experience.

One more site: A white paper describing in some detail the bridges (as well as other bridges) and construction methods, as well as the characteristics of the plastic used and so. Only one image of the railroad bridge, however.
 #1533054  by BAR

Sir Ray,

Thanks very much for the links. I had begun to wonder if I had been mistaken in what I had been told (or what I thought I had been told) so I really appreciate you coming to my rescue. Our local model railroad club will be visiting the Transportation Museum at Eustis this spring and I hope that we will also be able to take a look at the bridges.

Thanks again and all the best.

BAR