Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Industrial Siding Configuration

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1446237  by l008com

This is an interesting siding configuration. Inside of a street "block", there are different warehouses in a grid pattern. Rails run between each of the buildings. BUT because it's a heavily industrial area, rails come in from two different directions and form a grid like this, with access on multiple sides of each building, and 90° diamonds deep in the middle of the blocks.

In case you haven't picked up, this is from Grand Theft Auto 5. When I first saw this, I thought it was very cool, like railfan overload. But then I got to thinking, it *could* work in real life. Has anything like this every been created? This isn't the only group of diamonds, there are several more as you travel between the buildings. It's a true gridwork, which means you have to have normal split siding entering from one direction, and then one extra siding that goes below the whole block, with multiple sub-sidings that turn 90° and head into the came location. Certainly not an impossible setup. Maybe a bit impractical though?
 #1446650  by SemperFidelis

Sux u can't drive the train or the light rail in part 5...

In dense urban areas there have been track schemes similar to that. If one were to look at track layouts in Brooklyn, including the old Navy Yard, one would find similar schemes.