Fort Eustis Trackage

A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Re: Fort Eustis Trackage

Post by Jeff Smith » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:50 am

They have a FB page: https://www.facebook.com/armyrail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I’m unsure if it’s an official page or fan page.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

BAR

Post by BAR » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Ft. Eustis permitted a trackcar excursion on September 13. 2014. We put on at the engine house, rode all of the remaining track in the morning, stopped for lunch in the club at the golf course, and then ran the tracks again in the opposite direction in the afternoon. Also had a guided tour of the dock area and looked at the maritime equipment. There were about fifteen speeders on the excursion and one hand pumper which didn't get very far given the effort required to propel it. I took a shot at pumping for a few minutes and after which I was happy to get back my friend's motorized car.

BAR
Williamsburg, VA

Statkowski

Post by Statkowski » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:33 am

When I first went to school there they were still running S-160 2-8-0s and the tracks to the base laundry were still being used.

Of course, that was a few years ago.
Ex-NYNH&H SS Opr

riffian

Post by riffian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Fort Eustis related, but a bit off topic for rail. Looks like the Army is getting out of the maritime transportation business. Not much left for Fort Eustis to do:
https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-arm ... -shortage/

RailVet

Post by RailVet » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:52 am

As far as I know, aviation maintenance training still takes place there, but that's something that could be transferred elsewhere.

riffian

Post by riffian » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 pm

Off topic again....The Marad James River Reserve Fleet is supported from Fort Eustis, as well. They are down to seven ships, three awaiting scrapping, two being cannibalized for active ships and two for training purposes. All C4 break bulk vessels built in 1962/63. Along with the Pacific Reserve Fleet, it won't be long until they are scrapped out of existence.

Return to “General Discussion: Short Lines, Industrials, and Military”