Railroad Forums 

• Remembering the Falls road Railroad...

• Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.
Discussion about shortline operator Genesee Valley Transportation, operator of the Delaware-Lackawanna; the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern, the Falls Road Railroad; Depew, Lancaster & Western; and the Lowville & Beaver River railroads. Official site: GVTRAIL.COM.

Moderator: metman499

#1110237  by ctclark1

From the article mentioned above:
“We have an issue with tractor-trailers that keep getting stuck underneath,” she said. “You can’t get delivery trucks through there and they have to go all the way around the village and come in the other way.”
Random thought... She thinks she has problems, she should talk to Warsaw where the trucks have to detour a lot farther to get into the village. (I know Warsaw's problem is a lot more than clearance issues, but still...)
 #1110275  by nessman

ctclark1 wrote:From the article mentioned above:
“We have an issue with tractor-trailers that keep getting stuck underneath,” she said. “You can’t get delivery trucks through there and they have to go all the way around the village and come in the other way.”
Random thought... She thinks she has problems, she should talk to Warsaw where the trucks have to detour a lot farther to get into the village. (I know Warsaw's problem is a lot more than clearance issues, but still...)
From what I heard - Warsaw's truck detour was a result of a runaway loaded gasoline tanker truck that lost it's brakes on that steep grade coming into town from the east and under the Rochester & Southern overpass and took out a number of houses.

The Rt 259 overpass does limit commercial traffic into the village (perhaps this is a good thing) - but it doesn't stop some truck driver not paying attention from getting wedged under it either. Really surprised the structures are still there. And other than speculation that CSX is hanging onto the ROW as a utility corridor - surprised they're still hanging onto the property. Look at the old West Shore, Pennsy or Lehigh Valley ROW's - few bridges remain and were removed many many years ago.
 #1110543  by charlie6017

nessman wrote:From what I heard - Warsaw's truck detour was a result of a runaway loaded gasoline tanker truck that lost it's brakes on that steep grade coming into town from the east and under the Rochester & Southern overpass and took out a number of houses.
My dad lived in Warsaw a number of years ago and actually lived just below the R&S right of way on Livingston St. I always wondered
if something had happened on Rte. 20A to cause the ban on oversize vehicles other than the obvious steep grades.

Little story.......My dad also told me there was a resident that lived atop the East Hill and had the Warsaw PD basically on speed dial to
notify them if a large truck was descending the hill and the officers would be waiting at the bottom for them! :-P

Charlie
 #1110711  by ctclark1

That is basically true on both accounts, you two. There were multiple incidents, in fact. My dad grew up on Merchant Rd on the east hill, and has told me stories of the gas truck incident, and a watermelon truck incident, among others that escape me now. And even now to this day it is common to hear on the police scanner that someone has alerted the Sheriff's dept if they see a semi-truck skip the last-chance turn-around at Minor Rd. Even with all the warnings ahead of time, (Signs leading up to and at the mandatory detour onto Rt 246, as well as at least one other turnaround not far west of there) there are trucks which decide to take the run down the hill.

And I'm aware they are of different reasons, as I said, but the similarity remains, that trucks may only enter the village of Warsaw from the east by in fact going north through Pavilion and Wyoming, as trucks entering Spencerport must detour around the bridge there. The thought that was going through my head at the time of my other post, but unstated, was what would the Mayor have done if the FRR was still in use? Demand they move it? It seemed to be a logical conclusion of some of her comments on how the "ugly deteriorating structure" impedes her village. I am not saying that the bridge probably shouldn't come down, but her attitude towards it has always struck me as though she feels the RR is purposely inconveniencing her, as so many people in this country seem to so think. I guess my main point is that hers is a small detour, Warsaw's is long and out of the way. That is why I said she should talk to Warsaw if she thinks she is being inconvenienced.
 #1134224  by Matt Langworthy

nessman wrote:
med-train wrote:Conrail took up the tracks from Brockport to Elmgrove area to reduce the value of the branch line and make sure no one else could compete with them if and when they sold the line as it was no longer producing a lot of freight.
I've heard this time and time again - and yet no one has been able to substantiate this claim. Let's suppose for a minute here that they never abandoned the line between Brockport and Lee Road and they sold it to GVT. You'd have a shortline that interchanged with Conrail in Rochester and interchanged with Conrail in Lockport. How would this "compete" with Conrail? By the time they sold it to GVT it was just a handful of freight customers no longer profitable to Conrail to maintain and maintenance had been deferred to the point where you had 25 MPH speed limits for much of the way, 10 MPH restrictions in Lockport and Albion, rusty rail conditions at most crossings, all movements via Form D authority, no signal system, etc... etc. Through freights were rerouted via Buffalo years before that. Auto carriers are not time-sensitive trains like fresh produce. They're going to distribution yards - so by the time the mid-90's came, the Falls Road Secondary was no longer much of a "shortcut".
There was a rumor, which even made the rail press, circa 1989 that GWI wanted to but the Falls Road. I don't know if it was true or not, but it kinda makes sense because GWI (not to be confused with GVT) was less than happy with the condition of the R&S south of Silver Springs. Acquiring the Falls Road would have given GWI a way to get freight to the R&S from Buffalo without having to use the Southern Tier Mainline. the catch would have been getting the freight from Buffalo Creek Junction to Niagara Falls and building a connector track to link the Falls Road with the R&S. Again, I don't know if GWI seriously considered the purchase or it was just an idle rumor.

Oh well... what's done is done, and we do get to see Alcos on the line today. ;)